Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deepayamini Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Urgent -- tax questions before sending out form 1040NR-EZ
    Hi,

I initially got converted from F1 to H1-B last year(2005). As per your suggestion I know I have to file 1040NR(EZ) and form 8843. I have a few line questions on these forms. On form 1040 NR(EZ) line 24, what am I supposed to put? Different people give me different suggestions, can you please explain me what is expected to be put in line 24. On form 8843 line 1.a, it asks for type of US visa and date I entered the US -- Should I put it as H1-B or F1. I am not sure on this, the instructions tell that I should put the status on my recent I-94 which tells F1, where as I am currently in H1. Please let me know. One of my friend has a federal tax return of only 4.00$, should she still file the tax? Her state tax is 15.00$, what do you suggest?

With smiles,
    Deepa.:o
    tuhin Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 02:17 PM
    For 1040 NR-EZ , In Line 24 you can leave blank or enter 0. This means that you are taking the full amount of the refund to line 23a(total amount to refund this year) from line 22(total amount to be refund).
    In 8843, 1.a)you should entered type of visa and the first date of entry In US as F1(exempt individual)
    1.b) H1 change of date from F1 to H1.

Your friend should file federal. State tax is not necessary.

Apr 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Thanks a lot. I was confused. This helped me a lot. Have anybody filed a Wisconsin state tax before (non resident)? Can I get some help with it?

With smiles,
    Deepa.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Deepa:

Call the Wisconsin Tax Help Line; you can get the phone number from the website.

File the state tax return, unless you have to pay someone to do it for you. In that case, a $15 refund is not worth it paying a preparer $25 to prepare the return.

Apr 4, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Thanks a lot. Even I thought the same. I had a question, I thought of H&R block, in case I am not able to do it myself. I am in NC now, will the H&R block here do a Wisconsin state tax? Has anybody used H&R block before, any feedbacks on it? Or is there any other help I can use? Thanks for your time and patience.

With smiles,
    Deepa.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Deepa:

H&R Block will charge you more than $15 to do the return. Heck, I would charge you at least $15 for that return, so it may not be worth the effort.

Go to the Wisconsin state website. Many states allow you to file the state tax return online for free. You lose nothing but a little time to check it out.

Apr 6, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Thanks. I am trying to do it myself. I moved to Wisconsin in may, I was in opt till October. Will I be treated as a non-resident,partial year resident, or resident. I called people at the state, each one gave me a different detail. Can anybody help me with this?

With smiles,
    Deepa.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2006, 09:06 PM
    By definition, you are a partial-year resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early 401k withdrawal 1040NR form [ 5 Answers ]

I am an Austrian National who lived in Columbia, SC 1999 - 2002 and moved to Mexico in before the end of 2002. In 2003 I made an early withdrawal of my entire 401k savings of $US 23'000. Now I receive a letter from the IRS that I need to file a tax return using form 1040NR. Question one: Is...

Sending mp3 files over the net... [ 4 Answers ]

Not sure if this falls down the category of mp3's bit anwho... I just registered because I could really use some help. When I want to send a file over the net, a music file I use this site www.yousendit.com but I don’t think its working all that well anymore because I asked a friend of mine to...

Form 1040nr and 2106 [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am an non-resident allien for tax purposes. Can I file together with 1040NR Also forms 2106-Employee Business Expenses and 3903-Moving expenses? Or are these form just for 1040 US citizens? Thank you HPE7777

Help needed: Form to file 1040NR? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Before I start with my question, Thanks to AtlantaTaxExpert for patiently answering the questions to all.It does really help us many reading your posts. I got most of the information I require from the questions other people have asked. I am trying to follow this post for my decisions...

View more questions Search