Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hekg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 03:52 PM
    A/C not blowing or cooling, digital thermostat dead
    Hello, my house was getting very hot and when I check the thermostat the digital numbers were off. I chaeck all the breakres and then I ran down to the store and bought a new digital thermostat that uses batteries for the display but still nothing :(

Please help! It's over 90 degrees in Miami today.

Why would the numbers go out on the original digital thermostat which was not battery powered? Why is there no air at all blowing from the vents?

The compressor is less than 1 year old.

Jul 18, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Ok I just check inside the air exchanger and there was a huge flood of water. There is a strange machine in there that I hooked up to a water line and then there's a small hockey puck looking part with a red light.

Any ideas?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Does sound thermostat related, if it uses no batteries, it would be powered by air handler transformer, I would check the fuse. Check all breakers. And check disconnect switches/breakers to verify they are not thrown.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 04:02 PM
    We answered same time, That sounds like a water sensor, and if pump or drain fails, it will interrupt power to thermostat. A momentary jump of these connections will verify water is only problem.

Jul 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    We answered same time, That sounds like a water sensor, and if pump or drain fails, it will interrupt power to thermostat. A momentary jump of these connections will verify water is only problem.
    Hi, thanks for your response. I dried it all out and just switched it back on but nothing still.

How do I jump the connections? You mean the colored cables at the thermostat?

Jul 18, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Ok I just googled the 'Wet Switch' that's in there and it sounds like this is why the system turned off in order to prevent carpet and wall damage from all the water.

My question now is, why did it flood in there? How should I set the humidy control knob? Light or Heavy?

I just moved in here and have never had a humidy control box. :)

Thanks again
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
    It May be a Drain or pump. Drain may be clogged. Can you follow or find where it exits the house. Does it have a float switch and pump?

Jul 18, 2008, 05:19 PM
    I really wouldn't know because I live in an apartment so everything goes into the walls and I haven't seen the actual drains yet.

All I know is that today I turned the humidty control OFF and I put the thermostat switch on ON instead of the usual auto.

Now I'm finding that there's water in the actual air filter and the walls are all wet.

Pictures to follow
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Wonder if it's a Plumbing leak, Not AC related. That sensor would turn off AC where ever the water came from. See if you can separate the drain pipe, clean off, and see if you can blow through.
    I believe they set the Humidistat to 65% down here.

Jul 18, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Ok I just removed the white pipe in the picture and it was full of the nastiest, slimiest black slime!

I believe that's the drain pipe but why does it go up the wall? Does that contraption actually force water out against gravity that way?

I'm not sure what the clear tube is but I'm guessing that's the water line that adds humidity to the system right?

I even opened that machine and it was nasty as well.

Is there a way to eliminate this water line humidity system altogether or is it a necessary part of the whole a/c unti?

Again, thanks for your help :)
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 06:51 PM
    The water is due to warm air being cooled, it needs to be gotten rid of. For some reason since a drain was not put in or other reason, the other option is when the water enters that
    Pump reseovoir, it fills up and activates float switch/electronic switch, then pumps up and out.
    If you can blow out both lines(in and out), it may fix problem.

Try this for info:
    Little Giant Condensate Pumps from the FAMOUS Internet PLUMBING SUPPLY
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Summary
    The pump probably has a float switch, and is power independently from AC.
    The Hocky puck looking sensor opens connections with thermostat so it will not
    Make more water(cool house). Once it drys out it will allow AC to work.
    If it was "MY house" I would connect the 2 wires from puck and place bucket under drain until morning, until solved, it can fill 3 or 4 5gallon buckets of water a day.
    bwlinc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 12:25 AM
    This is not a humidifier, this is a condensation pump used to drain condensation from evaporator coil while in the cooling mode. If your pump is full of water, it may need to be replaced. But if there is very little to no water in the pump, you may just need to blow out the line between the evaporator coil and the pump. From the pump it will be the pvc pipe going up. Good luck

Jul 30, 2008, 07:56 AM
    I just wanted to say thanks guys. I fixed the problem that night by getting rid of all the slime in the pipes and the pump then blow drying the moisture sensor completely.

Thank god I didn't call and A/C guy because it was the weekened and would have cost me an arm and a leg I'm sure :)

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Digital Thermostat for Line Voltage Heating AND Cooling? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello folks, I live in a condo in a relatively old building (~65 years) which uses line voltage thermostat controls (120/240V) for both heating and cooling (the heating and cooling source is a convector - they switch the building from heating to cooling every season). I'm trying to find a...

Replacing Analog Thermostat with Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing Analog thermostat with White, Yellow, Red, & Black wiring with non-programmable digital thermostat Model #RTH3100C. Please help!!

Replace T87F thermostat with digital thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My T87F has two wires Red and White. No code indicating how to connect to the new digital on.

Honeywell digital thermostat dead/blank [ 2 Answers ]

No flashing or blinking lights or numbers. No read out at all on thermostat. No batteries, it bleeds power off the furnace I believe. York natural gas furnace. I checked the breakers, they are all on. The pilot light is on. This has happened before, about 2 weeks ago. I had a service guy...

AC not blowing or cooling [ 3 Answers ]

Our Central Air unit just stopped blowing and cooling all of a sudden today. We have reset the breakers both inside and outside by the unit and still nothing. The fan in the unit will turn like normal but nothing inside the house. We turned it off with just the fan running for a few hours in...

View more questions Search