Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Apr 3, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Pounds per Week?
    All right, I asked a question regarding biking but this is more of a weight loss question.

Currently I weigh about 195 lbs at 6' (5' - 11.5"). I started at about 205 and have a target weight of 175 (-185) either is a step in the right direction. But I am trying to figure out how long it will take and what the best meals to eat the most calories are. i.e. - Which meal should be largest and what types of foods promote weight loss?

I usually eat nothing for breakfast but a couple cups of coffe (Milk and sugar). Then cold cuts on a hard roll for lunch with water, no side. Then for dinner I usually have a burger on white bread with tomato and cheese. That's it. I know its not over 2000 calories, or at least I don't think so.

I try to do at least a 1/2 hour of cardio a day. But that is minimum, I like to push 45 min to an hour. Plus I try to do 3 sets of 30 pushups and situps, alternating days if I am sore.

Final question is, how much weight can I lose per week at the current rate of excersize and diet. What is the fastest way to lose weight?
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Apr 7, 2006, 10:16 PM
    Hi, I am not a professional but I have done a lot of reading. Weightloss is simple math. The amount of calories you burn has to be more than the amount of calories you take in. 3500 calories = 1 pound.

Here's an example. If you are burning 3000 calories a day and consuming 2500, over a week that would be 3500 calories that you have burned over and above what you were consuming, equalling a weightloss of 1 pound. You also have to take in to account water retention and for females, hormones.

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/

This is a great website. It has counters or calculators for everything. It will determine how many calories you burn according to your body weight, height and activity. Using it makes it a little easier to keep track of how you are doing and how much you can expect to lose.

*THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! You MUST eat breakfast. This gets your metabolism going for the day. It kick starts your body and makes it work. If you don't, your body thinks it's being starved and will go into conserve mode. If you did everything the same for one month and the only thing you changed was eating breakfast, you would lose more weight by adding breakfast.

One last thing, water, water, water. Make sure you get the minimum requirements of 6-8, 8 ounce glasses of water per day. If you changed just this one thing, they say you could lose close to 10 pounds your first month. It's worth a try.

Take care and good luck.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 04:29 AM
    HI,
    It's very hard to say how many lbs. per week anyone is going to lose or gain. There is a point at which the body "relaxes", takes time to stabilize, before any more loss occurs.
    The fastest way to lose weight is to eat/drink less than 2,000 calories per day (24 hour period), and as the answer before mine said, drink 8 glasses of water a day, and keep up the exercises.
    Another consideration is Genes. It is now proven that DNA testing on certain types of Genes reveals that heredity plays an important part in weight. If your parents, relatives, etc, are prone to a particular "over" weight problem, and has certain characteristic Genes that you also have, then it's possible you could "eat grass" all day, and not lose a pound of weight!
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Apr 8, 2006, 09:41 AM
    I agree with fred 100%. These are some excellent points that I failed to mention. Great advice!
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Apr 19, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Lots of water, low carbs, always eat breakfast...

Try to bike everyday/every-other, pushups and situps whenever...

I'm down to 189 and dropping. 185 will be 20 lbs less than top weight (205)

JC

Down to 180 all!
    Dave-T Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 10:49 PM
    It is importaint as well to keep your muscle mass or else your BMR will drop. If you are losing a lot of weight try some basic weight exercises (even if its against your own body).This will help you continue to loose weight as you proress

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 week old kitten [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have recently received a 5 week old kitten and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much milk I should be giving her. She is eating solid food but she prefers the milk. She is really small because her mother stopped feeding her so she has lost quite allot of weight. I would really...

One more week [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I just had to make a new post... :rolleyes: My Dr appt went really well today. The u/s and weight assessment was about five and a half pounds for each of the babies. I'm at three cm and it really doesn't look like I'm going to be progressing into labor anytime soon... :( Sooooo... I'm going...

Is once a week enough for abs? [ 4 Answers ]

I have heard you can work your abs max 3 times a week. About 5 days ago I did a killer ab workout and my abs are still a little sore. Should I work them if they are sore? Is Once a week enough?

I'm about 60 pounds overweight [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, if anyone can help me that would be great. I want to find a really good way for me to exercise but my problem is this. I had a c-section when I had my son and now I have my lower stomach hanging a bit , most of my weight is from that are to my chest, I have large...

7 week old GSD won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

We just brought home a 7-week old GSD and he has a wonderful temperament but he hardly eats at all during the day, vomited once (on the first full day that he was home), and has had nothing but diarrhea and urine come out of him. He also sleeps about 90% of the time during the day. We have been...

View more questions Search