Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 12:59 PM
    The Black Hole of political correctness
    Have you heard the one about the Dallas mayor daring to use the term "black hole?"

At a recent meeting of city officials in Dallas County, Texas, a small racial brouhaha broke out. County commissioners were hashing out difficulties with the way the central collections office handles traffic tickets. Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield found himself guilty of talking while white. He observed that the bureaucracy “has become a black hole” for lost paperwork.

Fellow Commissioner John Wiley Price took great offense, shouting, “Excuse me!” That office, the black commissioner explained, has become a “white hole.”

Seizing on the outrage, Judge Thomas Jones demanded that Mayfield apologize for the “racially insensitive analogy,” in the words of the Dallas Morning News’s City Hall Blog.

Houston Chronicle science blogger Eric Berger notes that everyone should be “very glad that the central collections office has not become a white hole, a theoretical object that ejects matter from beyond its event horizon, rather than sucking it in. It wouldn’t be fun for Dallas to find itself so near a quasar.”

Maybe so, but speaking metaphorically, if it were a white hole, that might suggest central collections was actually doing its job, ejecting paperwork in a timely fashion.

Call me nostalgic, but there was a time when this sort of stupidity actually generated controversy. Remember the Washington, D.C. official who used the word “niggardly” correctly in a sentence only to lose his job? That at least generated debate.

But these days, stories like this vomit forth daily and, for the most part, we roll our eyes, chuckle a bit, and shrug them off.

Obviously, there’s something to be said for ignoring the childish grievance-peddling that motivates so much of this nonsense. But the simple fact is that ignoring political correctness has done remarkably little to combat it. Meanwhile, people who make a big deal about it are often cast as the disgruntled obsessive ones.
    See the rest of the column here.

Call me nostalgic, but I think it would be sweet for the next similar PC victim to refuse to apologize when they've done nothing wrong. I'd give them a standing-O. Aside from the stupidity of this incident, and by stupidity I mean taking offense at the mayor's comment in the first place, Goldberg makes this point:

Now, I don’t want to paint with too broad a brush. There is stuff that gets labeled political correctness that is entirely defensible. Because of the erosion of traditional authority that has marked the last half-century, for good and ill, society has been forced to re-create what defines good manners largely from scratch. Women, blacks, and other historically marginalized groups have finally and deservedly gained an equal place in society. Treating fellow citizens with respect and dignity shouldn’t be lumped in with the more radical agenda that also exploits political correctness...

But there’s a separate agenda that parasitically clings to the more defensible aim of crafting new good manners. The Left uses Western society’s admirable desire not to offend to bludgeon competing ideas and arguments. Inconvenient facts are ridiculed as “insensitive.” Refusal to go along with the multicultural agenda, for example, is cast as a sign of backwardness and bigotry. We’re told we must have a frank conversation about race, but when conservatives take up the challenge, they are immediately demonized for the insensitivity of their honesty.
    I agree with Goldberg wholeheartedly and I would argue that it wasn't Bush, it wasn't the evangelicals, it wasn't the neocons, it wasn't the GOP's divide and conquer partisan politics that have divided this country, it is decades of the left bludgeoning us with their culture and intolerance of "competing ideas and arguments". No?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 18, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Not good news for the law abiding Dallas residents. I think Dallas at one time the city led the nation per capita in murders. They certainly don't need the police force at each other throats. It's not uncommon for large cities to have some racial ill feeling in the precincts, but it's usually due to promotions and treatment preference of certain neighborhoods. More often though they don't have time for this petty crap. They need to have each others backs while patrolling.

Below is the photo scene after a Dallas police officer was shot. Fortunately for the most part the force shares a lot of camaraderie.

progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I heard the audio of that, were it not so utterly stupid, it would be funny.

What about Cynthia McKinney, wanting to know if the Mars Explorer took a photo of the flag that Neil Armstrong placed there, when we landed on Mars?

WOW?

Sounds like Texas needs some help?
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Whoa there progunr, let's not help anyone be confused about any relationship between Cynthia McKinney and Texas. She's that fruit loop from Georgia. :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 02:07 PM
    I stand corrected!

As I remove my foot from my mouth!

Sorry Texans, didn't mean to slander!
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
    The "black hole" flap is just like the "niggardly flap". Remember that? Seems like the more ignorant among us have the bigger chip on their shoulder.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    I stand corrected!!

As I remove my foot from my mouth!!

Sorry Texans, didn't mean to slander!!
    Oh it's cool, we all have our own nutcases.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 02:32 PM
    I just wonder, if Obama wins and ushers in his Kingdom will this insanity pass and we all live in peace and harmony, joining hands and singing Kum-Ba-Yah? Sorry, that song is too divisive. How about sharing a Coke and singing the Coke Song?

Jul 18, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Don't plan on it. Our fine proclaimed "Christian" nation and society just started allowing Blacks to drink with Whites at water coolers in the 1960's.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Don't plan on it. Our fine proclaimed "Christian" nation and society just started allowing Blacks to drink with Whites at water coolers in the 1960's.
    Ain't it about time we got over that anyway? This is exactly what I'm talking about... there are whole generations that have never seen that. I'll be 48 next month and I've never seen separate water fountains. I vaguely remember when busing started, and as I've said before attended predominantly Hispanic schools. Why in God's name should blacks hold a grudge against me? I didn't do anything to them besides go to school with them, work with them, hang out with them, go to church with them and be their friend.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Some folks just prefer to remain in the "victim" category.

It makes it much easier to deflect anything that points to personal responsibility.

To admit that they are no longer really "victims" makes their problems, THEIR problems, and not someone else's.

It is not that I don't sympathize with what their ancestors had to endure, I do.

The problem is, things that get brought up now days like slavery, happened a couple hundred years ago.

There is no one alive in the United States today, that owned any slaves.

At the risk of having to put on a suit of armor to protect from the incoming assault, it was not a white man, that sold the black men into slavery to begin with, but you never hear any mention of that fact.

Why is that?

Jul 18, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Ain't it about time we got over that anyway? This is exactly what I'm talking about ... there are whole generations that have never seen that. I'll be 48 next month and I've never seen separate water fountains. I vaguely remember when busing started, and as I've said before attended predominantly Hispanic schools. Why in God's name should blacks hold a grudge against me? I didn't do anything to them besides go to school with them, work with them, hang out with them, go to church with them and be their friend.
    If we are to remain a productive society than we must be responsible for one another's well being, currently, and in the future. I also think American society has advanced, but we wouldn't want regression. It can happen. Progunr's mentioning of slavery from a 150 years ago, and I my detailing more current events, actually from less than five decades ago with drinking fountains and bus seating arrangements. Only thing is that he's making excuses for slave owners which is failed argument. Although it is a fact that Africans were sold off by their own people, guess what?. they found purchasers in America! Two wrongs don't make a right. Of course people many generations later, ourselves included, were not actively involved in any misconducts or society's ills. You "Steve," and "Progunr" are both law abiding citizens. It's not my intention to alienate or blame either one of you. I'm careful not to equate it with those that are indicative of real Christian behaviour or the teachings of your faith. Equality standards can be needed by anyone of any color and it's a bit of a challenge apprently. I wasn't shoved into an oven with some of my distant cousins in Nazi Germany seventy years ago, but that doesn't mean that I'm oblivious to the possibility of it happening. History has a way of repeating itself unless we keep it fresh to memory, otherwise we are poised for failure. If not us, future generations.

Not to hijack the post, but on similar topics of interest...

YouTube - George Carlin: American Bull

YouTube - Who owns you Americans?

One of my favorites... YouTube - Sarah Silverman
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:43 PM
    If we are to remain a productive society than we must be responsible for one another's well being, currently, and in the future. American Society has advanced, but we wouldn't want regression. It can happen. Progunr's mentioning slavery from a 150 years ago and I was detailing current events, actually from less than five decades ago with drinking fountains and bus seating arrangements. Only thing he's making excuses for slave owners which is failed argument. It is a fact that Africans were sold off by their own people, but guess what?...they found purchasers in America! Two wrongs don't make a right. Of course many people were not actively involved in any misconducts or society's ills. You "Steve," and "Progunr" are both law abiding good citizens. I'm not trying to alienate blame on either one of you. I'm careful not to equate it with those that are indicative of real Christian behaviour or the teachings of your faith. Equality standards can be needed by anyone of any color and it's a bit of a challenge. I wasn't shoved into an oven with some of my distant cousins in Nazi Germany seventy years ago, but that doesn't mean that I'm oblivious to the possibility of it happening. History has a way of repeating itself unless we keep it fresh to memory, otherwise we are poised for failure. If not us, future generations.
    Bobby my friend, there's a reason to remember. There's a reason to remain vigilant against racism and intolerance. But, there's no good reason to hold on to or hold resentment for past sins that have for the most part been atoned for and resolved. There hasn't been slavery in this country for nearly a century and a half, no one alive today bears any responsibility for it and no one alive today suffered its evils. All of this bristling at every perceived slight only serves to keep the division alive, the anger hot and steals attention and focus from actual problems that matter.

I've said it what seems like a thousand times on these boards, keep injecting racism and intolerance where there is none and it's only going to breed more resentment. It doesn't solve a damn thing and makes me believe people aren't at all interested in solving anything. I can't keep slavery, separate water fountains, sitting in the back of the bus, no right to vote, etc. fresh in my mind because it was never a part of my life and I never witnessed it. My friends are my friends without regard to race or anything else and always shave been. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that, well-intentioned as they may have been, a lot of people began that bludgeoning of me for my racism, bigotry, insensitivity and intolerance - for no valid reason at all. That ain't progress...

Jul 18, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Steve, in the first paragraph you said,

"there's a reason to remember. There's a reason to remain vigilant against racism and intolerance."

In the second paragraph you say, "I can't keep slavery, separate water fountains, sitting in the back of the bus, no right to vote, etc. fresh in my mind because it was never a part of my life and I never witnessed it."

Actually you are very much aware. You just proved with your own statements that you are mindful of how to respect others based on earlier generation's mistakes (and in part because of a good upbringing). I keep the history in my mind and teach it to others because I don't want the same atrocities repeated. In part it is about being educated. I'm making a point about our American history. It effects all us, myself included. You seem to think this about you personally, it's not. BTW I didn't bring up slavery, progunr injected that and I referenced him. I was speaking of more current events that happened to involve African Americans. To many people seem to think it's just a Black and White issue. It's so much more. Americans are very diverse and the dynamics can be tense.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Why in God's name should blacks hold a grudge against me?
    Maybe the American Indians do too. There's a lotta collective guilt. (And my ancestors were farming and preaching in Germany.)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:19 AM
    Steve ;if I did not know this story was true ;I'd think you got it from ' Onion'.The fact that it was a county commissioner and a judge that made it an issue is outstanding ! How do they achieve their positions ? Clearly the black hole resides where his grey matter should be.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Steve, in the first paragraph you said,

"there's a reason to remember. There's a reason to remain vigilant against racism and intolerance."

In the second paragraph you say, "I can't keep slavery, separate water fountains, sitting in the back of the bus, no right to vote, etc. fresh in my mind because it was never a part of my life and I never witnessed it."

Actually you are very much aware. You just proved with your own statements that you are mindful of how to respect others based on earlier generation's mistakes (and in part because of a good upbringing).
    You missed the point Bobby, I am aware because everyone keeps reminding me of how racist we still are. Otherwise I wouldn't think about it because I don't see people as anything other than people. I've always been a part of a multiracial 'family' so to speak.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Whoa there progunr, let's not help anyone be confused about any relationship between Cynthia McKinney and Texas. She's that fruit loop from Georgia. :D
    Just a footnote: "In 2007, McKinney moved from her long time residence in the Atlanta suburb of Stone Mountain to California.[5] She is a Ph.D. student at University of California, Berkeley." Cynthia McKinney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And if you didn't know: "... Saturday, July 12th, 2008, Cynthia McKinney won the Green Party nomination in the first round of balloting at the Green Party's Chicago Convention. Elect Cynthia McKinney, President of the United States | Power to the People: Help make Cynthia McKinney the Green Party Nominee for President of the United States!
    I'm hoping she gets lots of votes.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Progunr's mentioning of slavery from a 150 years ago, and I my detailing more current events, actually from less than five decades ago with drinking fountains and bus seating arrangements. Only thing is that he's making excuses for slave owners which is failed argument. Although it is a fact that Africans were sold off by their own people, guess what?...they found purchasers in America! Two wrongs don't make a right.
    It was not an attempt to make any excuse, but it demonstrates my point to some degree, that it would automatically be viewed that way.

It was not meant to lessen the wrong done by the people who purchased slaves, and slaves have been purchased by every race on our planet, throughout history.

It was simply stated to point out the fact that the white man, is not totally responsible for the slavery issue, yet they are most often the only race that gets blamed for this horrible time in History.

I guess perhaps that is why it is hardly ever addressed, since it is viewed as an "excuse", rather than as a statement of fact.

Jul 19, 2008, 03:54 PM
    You missed the point Bobby, I am aware because everyone keeps reminding me of how racist we still are. Otherwise I wouldn't think about it because I don't see people as anything other than people. I've always been a part of a multiracial 'family' so to speak.
    Nope! Let's back up here. You implied, albeit sarcastically, that we are going to have some sort of utopia upon us when Obama is elected.

I just wonder, if Obama wins and ushers in his Kingdom will this insanity pass and we all live in peace and harmony, joining hands and singing Kum-Ba-Yah? Sorry, that song is too divisive. How about sharing a Coke and singing the Coke Song?

I say NO. To quote myself:

"Don't plan on it. Our fine proclaimed "Christian" nation and society just started allowing Blacks to drink with Whites at water coolers in the 1960's."

I then gave a precise argument as to why using our own American history as a marker. Furthermore I said, to paraphrase myself, that although the advancement of society has occurred, albeit slowly, it is imperative that we maintain a recollection so that we don't have a repeat. I also made clear the actions of proclaimed Christians as opposed to those following the teaching of their Faith. Now the only revealing comment you've made is about having a bludgeoning complex of sorts over being called a racist. I do believe you. It's been overly apparent in this little discussion. However it's not getting you any debate points here, because I never accused you of being a racist. I said you were a law abiding good citizen. Personally I've been called everything in the book and blamed by all kinds of people representing various races. Whoop-tee-do! Quite frankly I'm a little miffed at you for making this comment:

I can't keep slavery, separate water fountains, sitting in the back of the bus, no right to vote, etc. fresh in my mind because it was never a part of my life and I never witnessed it.
    :eek:

Let's look at this another way. You would disregard six million Jews and millions more righteous Gentiles that died seventy years ago because you never witnessed the Holocaust. What a load of crap. Listen! I personally had nothing to do with the African-American atrocities at any point in our American history, but I sure wouldn't want it to happen to them again or any person of any color, including Whites. Perhaps "Steve" there are some differences between our cultural perspectives, what our parents emphasized, and differences between our Faith's views on humanity (not to exclude anyone else respectively Agnostic, Atheist, etc... ), to acknowledge that we may never see eye to eye in our lifetime. I'm OK with that. I prefer teaching the next generation to learn from others mistakes, including my own. Like I said before, it's not just a Black and White issue. America is very diverse.

I'm going to address progunr and give you both the last words. I've said what I needed to say about the Dallas Police force incident and addressed the reason why education is so important to keep our country advancing for the better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are your thoughts on political correctness? [ 32 Answers ]

Charlton Heston passed away this week, I found this speech that he gave to a Harvard graduating class a few years ago. His thoughts are pungent, do you agree with him? By: Charlton Heston Article Font Size The following is a speech NRA President Charlton Heston gave to the Harvard Law...

Political correctness. [ 39 Answers ]

Sometimes I really wonder about our society and Political correctness gone mad. Yesterday in Sydney , Australia one of the major shopping centres were conducting interviews for this years hoard of Santa Claus's. One of the rules for this year is Santa is not allowed to say" Ho Ho Ho" for fear it...

Decent English vs. Political Correctness [ 6 Answers ]

Today I heard the term "waitperson" used for someone who waits tables. I'm getting used to some of the Political Correct gender neutral terms, but this one sounded odd to me. If we nix waiter and waitress, shouldn't we nix actor and actress too? But then what? Actperson? I'm curious; Does...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search