Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minnesota01r6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Basement drain convert to shower
    Hi all,

I am trying to finish off our basement, and I would like to put a shower in place of a cast iron floor drain. I have 3 pictures of the drain as it is right now. I don't care if I use a fiberglass shower pan or if I make a tile shower pan. The floor is already sloped into the drain, but I am wondering if I must jackhammer the foundation and replace the drain, or if there is some other way to do it.

Thanks a ton for any advice!

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2006, 07:04 AM
    About the only way you can use the floor drain would be to platform the shower and drain it into the floor drain using a indirect waste.
    A much better way would be to take up the floor and install a "P" trap to plck up the shower. Be advised that since the floor drain isn't vented you will have to take a vent off just after the "P" trap. Good luck, Tom
    minnesota01r6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Could you please explain what "platforming the shower" and using an indirect waste are? (sorry, I'm not very good at this plumbing thing)

Also, is the floor drain for sure not vented because there are vents for the rest of the plumbing very close to the drain - there are 3 ABS pipes that go into the foundation, but I guess they could all be drain pipes and not vent pipes

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2006, 12:59 PM
    "Platforming" means raising the shower base high enough to have room to install a trap and drainage if the installer don't wish to break up cement. In your case it means positioning the shower drain directly over the floor drain and raising it high enough to leave a air gap between the shower drain and the lip of the floor drain. This is called a "indirect waste".
    A floor drain is unvented because code says it can be. If you platform the enclosure and discharge into the floor drain through a indirect waste you will not have to vent the shower. However, if you connect to the drainage system in any other way a vent will have to be installed just behind the trap and run up to the nearest dry vent. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to install a shower in my basement over an existing floor drain. What is the preferred method of connecting the shower drain to the floor drain? The drains may or may not line up. I am planning on buying one of those one-piece shower stalls from a big-box store. Also, is there some...

Shower in Basement -drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a shower enclosure that was taken out of my basement years ago. The problem is that there is no shower drain in the cement floor. The previus shower was drained to a flexible rubber tube that flowed under the shower to the floor drain in the laundry room. I purchased some rubber...

Basement Shower Drain Leak [ 11 Answers ]

I've recently built the bathroom in the basement. I continue to have a leak when the drain starts to back up. I had broke the tile around the main drain and replaced the flange (the one that is sandwiched between the liner) but I still continue to experience the leak. The shower will run fine for a...

Shower drain in basement [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a one-piece Lasco shower enclosure as part of finishing the basement bathroom. The PVC drain is plumbed in and sticks up about 6" out of the floor. There is also a large diameter black corrugated "hose" around it (I guess for when they poured the concrete floor around it.) I can cut this...

Basement shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a basement shower drain which is cast iron embedded in concrete. Since the top of the drain was cut off at the top of the concrete, I have been chipping away at the concrete around the drain to use an Oakley adapter which fits around the outside of the pipe. The adapter then uses a key to...

View more questions Search