Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gilbing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 05:04 AM
    strange noise
    there is a strange noise that randomly occurs in the morning in my house. It sounds like a jack hammer. It is most prominent in my master bedroom bathroom, where there is a vent on the low part of the wall, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. My furnace and ac are not on and haven't been for days! The only other thimg I can thinl it would be is a woodpecker somewhere? Any idea what it is?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 09:51 AM
    You may be hearing air in water pipes, which can sound like a jack hammer.

Post this question in Plumbing and a plumbing expert Speedball should see it and be able to help.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
    I think too that "water hammer" is likelier than an HVAC Issue... I'll move this to Plumbing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbing
    there is a strange noise that randomly occurs in the morning in my house. It sounds like a jack hammer. It is most prominent in my master bedroom bathroom, where there is a vent on the low part of the wall, but i can't figure out where it's coming from. My furnace and ac are not on and haven't been for days! the only other thimg I can thinl it would be is a woodpecker somewhere? Any idea what it is?
    Smells and weird noises are the hardest to track down when you're not on the scene, but I can point you in the right direction. Read on. The problem could be caused by the ballcock trying to fill while water is seeping out of the tank. The sound you hear may be the washer vibrating against the seat of the ballcock. First check there linkage between the flapper and the flush lever. It should have 1/4" of play when your tank is filled. Next feel the flat side of your flapper. Does it have wavey edges? Do your hands come away black? Replace it if it does. And last check the seat itself. Any nicks or rough spots? If so click on back. There are replacement seats that glue right over the old one and are easy to replace. One of the above should take care of your noise. This happened in a new house some years ago. Only at night and in the early morning. They thought the house was haunted and were about to move out. I caught it in the powder room toilet. It would vibrate and the pipes in the wall would pick it up and carry it all over the house. Hope this helps but if it doesn't click on back with all the details t6hat you have. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange Cat [ 7 Answers ]

My mums cat does strange things. She is a happily normal and healthy cat BUT she never poops in her litter NEVER,always in the spare bathroom where her litter is but never in it, always besides it or by the door. This is so bizarre. She is 4 yrs old and has been doing so shortly after my mum got...

Dryer Making Strange Noise [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My GE Electric Dryer is making a strang "ching-ching" noise with each rotation. But there is nothing in the clothes that would explain this noise. (It is doing this with every load). It is drying the clothes fine, but the noise is very loud and annoying. What is wrong?

Why does she think I'm strange [ 14 Answers ]

We were going away for the day to a pool party. I asked my girlfriend if it was OK if I put my car in her garage. She was looking at me like why would you do that... so I explained its going to be 90 plus and I thought it would be a good idea to keep it out of the baking sun. Later at the end of...

Am I Strange? [ 12 Answers ]

hi I am a male and I am going to be 15 in April.During the last few weeks/months I have been masterbating every 2 or 3 days but I have never actually "cummed". I like girls and everything and get an erection often- at school in front of this girl I have just started going out with and at other...

Period Strange help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Im 18 and I recently got the Deprovera shot, I'm getting married in April and me and my husband decided we don't want children for a few years. The problem I'm having is I started bleeding about a week and a half ago really light. And now its getting heavy and today I passed a light gray pink...

View more questions Search