Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dr618 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Should I pay off these debts?
    I have 3 accounts that I don't know what to do about or really understand the how to calculate. I would appreciate any help on this.
    Two of them were opened in 11/01, last payment 11/04, date of first delinquency, 12/02.

The third account was opened at the same time as the other two, except, date of last payment is even older, more like 2002 and it is not on any of my credit reports.

My question is, how do I calculate the sol for these in New York, and I don't really have the money to pay these accounts off, should I leave it alone?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2008, 08:55 AM
    A debt is an obligation. You borrowed the money, then you should pay it back. Try working out a payment plan.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dr618
    I have 3 accounts that I don't know what to do about or really understand the how to calculate. I would appreciate any help on this.
    Two of them were opened in 11/01, last payment 11/04, date of first delinquency, 12/02.

The third account was opened at the same time as the other two, except, date of last payment is even older, more like 2002 and it is not on any of my credit reports.

My question is, how do I calculate the sol for these in new york, and I don't really have the money to pay these accounts off, should I leave it alone?

Statute of limitation runs from the date of the last ACTIVITY on the account - not from when it was opened. That could be the last time you used the card, the last payment. Telephone calls do not extend the statute - it's based on activity. In NYS the statute on open accounts (charge accounts) is 3 years.

Are you being pursued for these debts?

Jul 18, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Judy,

No, I am not being pursued.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Judy,

No, I am not being pursued.

Are they out of Statute?

Jul 18, 2008, 09:09 AM
    That's why I posted what I found on my credit report, I'm not sure.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 09:23 AM

You would have to see if that info is on the credit report or wait to be sued and then ask for documentation -

Or call the companies but that will certainly call you to their attention and I don't think that's what you want.

Otherwise unless you have your statements there is no way to tell.
    farmgirlmo Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2008, 09:32 AM
    You can find your SOL here Statutes of limitation for delinquent debt (Page 2 of 2)

Did you make payments/acknowledge the debt after the date they went delinquent?

SOL runs from date of last activity. Who is reporting the accounts on your credit report, the original creditor or a collection agency?

In NY, paid collections are removed after 5 years, that is only in NY(to my knowledge)

Unpaid, they will remain for 7-7.5 years from the date of first delinquency.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
    In NYS SOL for credit cards is 6 years.

213. Actions to be commenced within six years: where not otherwise provided for; on contract; on sealed instrument; on bond or note, and mortgage upon real property; by state based on misappropriation of public property; based on mistake; by corporation against director, officer or stockholder; based on fraud.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 18, 2008, 11:31 AM
    So at least one of the accounts still inside statute. To my knowledge the best thing to do at this point is to send validation request to both original creditors and collectors, the chances are they have no records to backup the claim, in that way you probably will prevent them from filing suit, they should know that filing suit after they fail to validate the debt would be hopeles if you respond to the summons. Also if they are listing the accounts in you credit reports ask them to delete and put the accounts in dispute with the CRAs

That account you paid last in 2002 must be about to drop from your report or already outdated, it is 7 years since date of first delinqueny.

You don't want to call them,you want everything on writing and definitelly you want to call their attention on this one but in the right way, in your favor.

Carl.-
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCleaner
    In NYS SOL for credit cards is 6 years.

213. Actions to be commenced within six years: where not otherwise provided for; on contract; on sealed instrument; on bond or note, and mortgage upon real property; by state based on misappropriation of public property; based on mistake; by corporation against director, officer or stockholder; based on fraud.

You are absolutely right about the six years and I was absolutely wrong when I posted otherwise.

With apologies to the OP for leading him astray -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Debts [ 1 Answers ]

4. A company uses the aging of accounts receivable method to estimate its bad debts expense. On December 31 of the current year an aging analysis of accounts receivable revealed the following: Accounts Receivable Account Age Estimated Uncollectible...

Bad debts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm doing an accounting question and I can't get my trial balance to balance I think its something to do with how I'm accounting for the bad debts. If I have sales of 4,200,000 made evenly throughout the year and customers are allowed a months credit and halfway during the year one of the...

Old debts [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 creditors that are just starting to call me about 2 old credit cards that were from like 12 or more years ago... these were both paid I highly doubt I have the proof that this was paid. Can someone advise me on how to handle this situation?

Debts [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 34 years I was married to a wonderful loving man. He passed away just 7 weeks ago. Needless to say he left me with a lot of credit card debts. And I mean a lot. My question: Since my name was not on these credit card debts and in fact I did not know about most of them until the...

Old Debts [ 5 Answers ]

I was just notified by a collector regarding a debt I incurred in 1996.I have not received any prior notice.This was an Emergency Room bill. I do not keep records past 8 years. I have no idea of what if anything I truly owe or paid. Can they come after me after 10 years ?I am in Texas. Susan

View more questions Search