Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenny45 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 10:42 PM
    Skin damage from sticky band-aid
    Hi, I've just recently had surgery, so I used some Curad gauze to cover up my scabs to protect them. Well, I didn't know that these gauze's adhesive sides would stick to my skin so tightly that they left some glue residue and skin redness. Since I used them repeatly for 1 week, now that I'm done with them I have lines of darker & slightly cracked skin (looks like a mild case of sunburn except the areas are darker, not red). From common sense I believe that they should go away as they're just dead skin cells? However, I'd like to know if anyone can confirm that and if there's anything I can do to speed up the healing process... should I just put lotion or Vitiman E on them, say, after a shower? Exfoliate them? Would they go away and how long? Thanks so much.
    ab-solute Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2006, 06:30 PM
    I know something that should help right away. It's called Dermaction Step two. It's made with Emu oil, MSM and aloe vera... all great for healing wounds. You can try it for $10.99 at www.dermaction.com
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Tenny, scars result when the skin repairs wounds caused by accident, disease, or surgery. They are a natural part of the healing process. The more the skin is damaged and the longer it takes to heal, the greater the chance of a noticeable scar. Typically, a scar may appear redder and thicker at first, then gradually fade. Many actively healing scars that seem unsightly at three months may heal nicely if given more time.

Every person heals differently and at different rates after a surgical procedure. Using creams that contain Vitamin E can speed up appearance of any scar. Cocoa butter cream can be used to help heal scars, and to prevent the formation of keloid scars. There's other treatments like Mederma and Scar Zone that are used to heal surgical scars.

Silicon sheets are also very beneficial in treating scars. Doctors have used silicon gel sheets for many years to try to reduce the appearance of scars. When placed over the scar, they work by flattening, softening and fading red and raised scars. These are now available from the pharmacist and research suggests that the improvements they bring are permanent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

89 Civic swapped engine will not start. Read sticky [ 16 Answers ]

I will try to keep this short. I have had this 89 hatchback civic for many years. My brother drove it and had the head gasket replaced. After this it always smoked a lot.This was about 5 years ago so it has been sitting. I found a 90 wagon model donor car with a bad tranny and decided to buy it and...

Sticky Situation with an Old Friend [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I've decided to ask about this in a public forum, because I honestly can't decide if this is a situation for manners and decorum, or following my heart. A very good friend of mine, whom I have known since sixth grade and was one of my own bridesmaids just over a year ago, told me...

Sticky Situation [ 5 Answers ]

My sister recently became pregnant with a man she is not married to. He will not allow adoption. His only options for her are abortion or keeping the baby. The snag is, doctors gave him until Christmas to live. He claimed his family was abusive to him growing up, but is now claiming they...

View more questions Search