Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Al Gore - the high priest of environmentalism - just a pop scientist?
    Just curious: where did Gore study climatology, anyway? YouTube - Al Gore Debates Global Warming
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Al Gore's Personal Electricity Consumption Up 10% Despite “Energy-Efficient” Renovations
    Energy guzzled by Al Gore's home in past year could power 232 U.S. homes for a month

NASHVILLE – In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President's home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

“A man's commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home,” said Drew Johnson, President of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. “Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption.”

In the past year, Gore's home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In February 2007, An Inconvenient Truth, a film based on a climate change speech developed by Gore, won an Academy Award for best documentary feature. The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research uncovered that Gore's Nashville home guzzled 20 times more electricity than the average American household.

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore's massive home energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home's windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the “green” overhaul.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month – 1,638 kWh more energy per month than the year before the renovations. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration. The cost of Gore's electric bills over the past year topped $16,533.

In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore's film won an Oscar, and he won a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

“Actions speak louder than words, and Gore's actions prove that he views climate change not as a serious problem, but as a money-making opportunity,” Johnson said. “Gore is exploiting the public's concern about the environment to line his pockets and enhance his profile.”

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a Nashville-based free market think tank and watchdog organization, obtained information about Gore's home energy use through a public records request to the Nashville Electric Service.

Tennessee Center for Policy Research
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 18, 2008, 02:30 PM
    The Nobel prize committee should be ashamed. They have turned what used to be an international honor into a bad joke!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Not only that, given our current situation and the "don't drill" democratic stand, even his own party is wishing now, that he didn't give that speech yesterday.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:59 AM
    The American Physical Society (APS), which represents 50,000 physicists, now proclaim that many of its members disbelieve in human-induced global warming.

"There is a considerable presence within the scientific community of people who do not agree with the IPCC conclusion that anthropogenic CO2 emissions are very probably likely to be primarily responsible for the global warming that has occurred since the Industrial Revolution."
    APS Physics | FPS | Editor's Comments

They are sponsoring a public debate on the validity of the global warming science.Lord Monckton of Brenchley, fired the opening salvo with a paper which concludes that climate sensitivity ;the rate of temperature change a given amount of greenhouse gas will cause ;has been grossly overstated by IPCC modeling.
    APS Physics | FPS | Climate Sensitivity Reconsidered

David Hafemeister and Peter Schwartz from from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo make the counter point argument in favor of the IPCC conclusion .
    APS Physics | FPS | A Tutorial on the Basic Physics of Climate Change

The point of this is that finally the idea of having "settled science" on climate change/global warming has been debunked. Perhaps now public policy can also be debated in a more rational manner

Back to the Goracle... so what is the price tag of his latest proposal ?

James Pethokoukis of the' US News and World Report' says it would cost $5 TRILLION. That's slightly less than half of the total US GDP;10 % of the total world GDP.

Dissecting Al Gore's $5 Trillion Energy Plan - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Hello again, tom:

It's like I said before... When I was a kid, we used to throw our trash in the streets because we thought it didn't matter. However, we found out it DOES matter. When I was in the Navy, we used to throw our trash off the fantail of the ship because we thought it didn't matter. But, we found out it DOES matter.

Now, we're throwing tons of trash into our atmosphere every day and you don't think it matters?? Dude! Where you been?? I think you DRANK the koolaid!

excon
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
    No one is "for" pollution, that's just crazy.

The evidence shows that as the temperature changes on earth, an equal change takes place on all the other planets as well.

Earth goes up by 2 degrees, so does Mars, Venus, Saturn... you get the idea.

Earth goes down by 2 degrees... same thing happens.

So, when the scientists can show how the fumes from my SUV, effect the temp on all theses other planets, then I would be more willing to take responsibility for causing Global Warming.

Until then, I have to believe it is just another way for the liberal environmentalists to control capitalism, which we all know they despise, and another way to try to make us feel guilty for actually enjoying our prosperity.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 03:28 PM
    What really gets me is the fact that Al Gore can 'buy carbon credits' so he 'has a license to pollute' IF he was REALLY concerned about global warming he would cut back not make polluting a money making scheme where he is entitled to pollute and we are expected to ride bikes to work while he flies all over the world.
    Pure hypocrisy, IF we want to stop so called man made global warming the carbon credits should be for future generations NOT Al Gore's benefit.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Just curious: where did Gore study climatology, anyway?
    To me that is an irrelevant question... I don't care if there are question marks to his point of views.

What is important is that Al Gore was the one who - at least in the US - brought the climatic problems due to human pollution of this planet into a full active debate.

In Europe we already seriously started that debate in the 1970's after the EU report of the "Club of Rome" and followed that up with the 1997 Kyoto agreement.

The US failed to address their similar problems (they never even signed the Kyoto agreement) till Al Gore pushed it into the lime light.

Right or wrong on the CO2 argument : Al Gore was instrumental to the awareness people in the US have now of the pollution problem, the resulting global warming, and it's consequences ! That is relevant!!

:rolleyes:

·
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 19, 2008, 04:52 PM
    I am VERY grateful that PRESIDENT Bush has (so far at least) refused to sign on to the KYOTO. We don't need that kind of economic disaster to satisfy some ignoramus' panic over something we have no control over.
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    We don't need that kind of economic disaster to satisfy some ignoramus' panic over something we have no control over.
    You may of course think so...

But there is more to consider here : approx. 6,4 Billion people share this planet. And the 350 Million or so US Americans have shown too long that they do not care a bit about equally sharing the resources this planets offers, while wasting more energy pro-head than anyone anywhere else on earth. The resulting global warming is involving all humans and all other life on earth.

It is inexcusable and immoral that US Americans demand their "right" to pollute, while at the same time "stealing" away the planet's limited resources for their own use only, specially as they do so by paying with money that is in fact not theirs, but is "borrowed" from many other nations on earth.

As to the topic question : Al Gore was - as I already stated - instrumental to the awareness people in the US have now of the pollution problem, the resulting global warming, and it's consequences ! That is relevant!!

inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 19, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Just curious: where did Gore study climatology, anyway? YouTube - Al Gore Debates Global Warming

George 1950, thanks for the you tube link.

Here is another.

YouTube - Americans for Prosperity Crashes Al Gore's Speech

See the last minute or so to see if Al Gore truly practices what he preaches.

Jul 19, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    You may of course think so...

But there is more to consider here : approx. 6,4 Billion people share this planet. And the 350 Million or so US Americans have shown too long that they do not care a bit about equally sharing the resources this planets offers, while wasting more energy pro-head than anyone anywhere else on earth. The resulting global warming is involving all humans and all other life on earth.

It is inexcusable and immoral that US Americans demand their "right" to pollute, while at the same time "stealing" away the planet's limited resources for their own use only, specially as they do so by paying with money that is in fact not theirs, but is "borrowed" from many other nations on earth.

As to the topic question : Al Gore was - as I already stated - instrumental to the awareness people in the US have now of the pollution problem, the resulting global warming, and it's consequences ! That is relevant !!!

How do you address India's or China's CO2 emissions, or is your screed only directed at the USA?
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 06:52 PM
    As to the topic question : Al Gore was - as I already stated - instrumental to the awareness people in the US have now of the pollution problem, the resulting global warming, and it's consequences !

That is what is relevant!! All the rest is steer manure, heaped on by people with opposing views.

Jul 19, 2008, 07:03 PM
    So before Al Gore, we did not know about pollution? Or do you mean co2 "problem."

I remember this commercial from the early 70s

YouTube - The Crying Indian Commercial
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    So before Al Gore, we did not know about pollution? Or do you mean co2 "problem." I remember this commercial from the early 70s
    I did not claim that at all : I stated very clearly (see post #9 - 01:40 AM) :

Right or wrong on the CO2 argument : Al Gore was instrumental to the awareness people in the US have now of the pollution problem, the resulting global warming, and it's consequences ! That is relevant !!!

Before Al Gore pushed this, there was hardly any general awareness of the problem, and that all these problems are related!! Even today there still are a lot of people who insist that tornado's have more to do with "the Lord" than with human greed and disrespect for nature. Both pollution and CO2 production have effects on global warming.

·
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 01:23 AM
    It's like I said before... When I was a kid, we used to throw our trash in the streets because we thought it didn't matter. However, we found out it DOES matter. When I was in the Navy, we used to throw our trash off the fantail of the ship because we thought it didn't matter. But, we found out it DOES matter.

Now, we're throwing tons of trash into our atmosphere every day and you don't think it matters?? Dude! Where you been?? I think you DRANK the koolaid!
    Ex
    Like I said to your previous retort:

Because I think that this is the new version of Y2K
    Even though there are hundreds of scientists who doubt the conclusion ,anyone who disputed it gets branded a charlatan . Especially galling is that the high priest of the movement in no way practices what he preaches . What ? The Goracle traded in his carbon consuming mansion for a grass yurt ? I don't think so.

What they propose as a solution is draconian ,and even if possible without wrecking the economies of the developed world ,will take a longer then they claim we have.

The history of the climate that we have recorded shows periods of warming and cooling much more severe than what is predicted . Was there SUVs driving around when Greenland was green ?

Conservation and cleaning the air are worthy goals without this pretending that what is best a hypothesis is "settled science" .
    To me ;the kool-aid drinkers are the ones who take the words of the Goracle on faith . Are all those scientists at APS kool-aid drinkers also ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 01:27 AM
    What really gets me is the fact that Al Gore can 'buy carbon credits' so he 'has a license to pollute' IF he was REALLY concerned about global warming he would cut back not make polluting a money making scheme where he is entitled to pollute and we are expected to ride bikes to work while he flies all over the world.
    Pure hypocrisy, IF we want to stop so called man made global warming the carbon credits should be for future generations NOT Al Gore's benefit.
    Indeed ! In fact; it is the Goracle who owns the companies he buys carbon credits from. Essentially he takes money out of his right pocket and puts it into his left pocket ;says a mea culpa and proceeds to blow carbon out of his a$$.
    -

Jul 20, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Al Gore - the high priest of environmentalism - just a pop scientist?
    Just curious: where did Gore study climatology, anyway? That was the topic question !
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomder
    Essentially "Gore" takes money out of his right pocket and puts it into his left pocket ;says a mea culpa and proceeds to blow carbon out of his a$$.
    Comments like these are not relating to the topic, and are basically dishonorable and aggressive personal attacks on Gore.

As I stated already several times before : all that is relevant here is that Al Gore was the one bringing the global warming problem to the people : he was instrumental to the awareness people in the US have now of the pollution problem, the CO2 problem, and the resulting global warming and it's consequences ! That is relevant!! All the rest I see in this topic is neurotic steer produce !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Al Gore Set To Rake In Millions Off An IPO [ 11 Answers ]

Al Gore Set To Rake In Millions Off An IPO - America Talks Back, News It has been reported that former Vice President Al Gore stands to make approximately $50 million when the TV channel he founded, Current TV, goes public. The channel is very popular among tech-savvy 18-34 year olds, and it...

Al gore and pres. Bush [ 4 Answers ]

Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses How do you account for this discrepancy?

Environmentalism vs. Safety [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I recently heard about a report (I have not seen the actual report yet) which claimed the following: As environmental concerns come to the forefront of people's minds, people are choosing to drive smaller cars because those smaller cars are more gas-efficient and...

Global Warming again. Al Gore, SHAME on you! [ 20 Answers ]

Judge for yourselves: Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses To Al Gore, Richard Dreyfuss, Alec Baldwin and the rest of the likes of you: Move to another planet and quit your lying and fearmongering! ... rant over...

View more questions Search