Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alan19952 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Transfer uk Pension into 401K Fund
    I have 33000 GBP with a uk pension provider. I am non resident for uk tax as I work offshore Gulf of Thailand. Can I transfer this money into a 401K fund and if so what would be my tax exposure?
    Gothamite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 04:13 AM
    I am an American citizen who has been resident in the UK since 1974. I am intending to return to live in US sometime in 2009. I am still employed and I will be applying for social security in October 2009 three months before my 66th birthday.

My question has to with the offset that I believe will apply against my social security. When I retire I will be eligible for both my employment pension which I estimate at approximately $25,000 per year as well as a state pension of $7800. What will the offset be approximately against social security. Also is there a UK/USA tax treaty that might affect this. I should add that I am working for a UK government agency.

Many thanks for any replies
    HORIZON01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan19952 View Post
    I have 33000 GBP with a uk pension provider. I am non resident for uk tax as I work offshore Gulf of Thailand. Can I transfer this money into a 401K fund and if so what would be my tax exposure?
    Hi Alan

No U.S. retirement scheme (401K, IRA etc.) can accept a transfer from a U.K. pension scheme. The reason is that U.S. based schemes are regulated by IRS rules and can only receive "qualified" funds in. This means that they can only accept funds from other U.S. 401k or IRA schemes.

The QROPS we represent are based in E.U. countries although the member can live in the U.S. or anywhere. Transfers typically take 4-6 weeks from start to finish.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Andrew Lambert
    QROPS Manager
    Windsor Pensions
    Windsor Pensions - Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k transfer home to a UK pension [ 5 Answers ]

2 questions as follows... Background: I obtained a green card around 1999, and am a permanent resident alien. I am returning to the UK in 1 month and I should financially separate myself from the US I think. 1. Can my 401K can be transferred. I think it is easier to roll it over into a...

401k and pension allowed at same job? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you have a defined pension and 401k offered by your employer. The 401k has no match.

401 K & Pension Fund Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I left my company and have a rather small 401K and a small pension. I am eligible to withdrawal the money and I am contemplating it to pay off some debt. I know 20% will be withheld at the time of the withdrawal. I also know I will have a 10% penalty. Will I have to pay additional taxes on...

Using 401K to fund a new business [ 1 Answers ]

I have just started a new business and invested about 10K from personal savings. I need about another 12K, can a 401K be used to fund a new business without paying an early withdrawl penalty? Also, any pros or cons to this would be appreciated. Thank you for considering this question.

View more questions Search