Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    micurtfrisco Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Unusual dog behavior
    I have a 5 year old toy poodle. For probably the last month or so, he has been chasing nothing. He's jumping, almost doing back-flips, running into the corner, trying to climb the walls. It's getting worse. He spends probaby up to 3/4 of his day chasing 'nothing'. When I watch him, it looks like he's chasing a bird, it was always above his head, but in the last couple of days, it sometimes looks like he's chasing something on the floor. There is nothing there, we watch him, and try to 'snap him out of it', by calling his name or petting him. We're getting worried about him, it's almost like he's going crazy. I talked to the vet, he said it sounds like a behavioral problem. Any ideas?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Any possibility he has something like a cataract? A floater? A vision problem?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Is it possible that he is chasing either a reflection or a shadow? Some dogs can get obsessed with doing that.
    micurtfrisco Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 09:43 PM
    That is what we originally thought it was, but he does it in rooms which are dark, or have no reflection.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Apple tree is right in her suggestions. I would also look into the possibility of dog anxiety, which can be caused by boredom just as much as it can be created by stress or fear. To many dogs, boredom is stressful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unusual behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Ive Had My Cat For Nearly 9 Years.she Is About 13. We Moved House About Seven Months Ago My Cat Stayed In For The First Four Months But Has Been Going Out A Little Each Day.not At Night.since Then She Don't Want To Come In Much Anymore.and Will Only Eat Pouch Food And Dried Nothing Else.when We...

Unusual Cat behavior [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 8 year old black cat. She is acting very strange and she has started dragging my husband and my daughters clothes all over the house when we leave. She will pull them out of the closet and out of drawers if left open. Is she angry or what could be making her do this? Thanks

Unusual cat behavior [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female tabby cat that is and always has been a loving cat. She lives with us on 6 acres partially wooded. She came in the house after being out for a few hours. She started acting strangely in way of getting up and down out of my lap - meowing very loudly and very suddenly...

Unusual behavior for my daschund [ 1 Answers ]

I have a year old mini long haired daschund. He usually is very perky, etc. This morning I put him out to go to the bathroom. He wouldn't go - I had to walk him out and stand with him. Then, he's been laying around more than usual and follows me more than usual, sitting between my legs or wants...

View more questions Search