Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doug Crf Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Air paint spray gun vs electric
    I want to get a spray gun but I am not sure which to get.
    If I go with air I would get the type with the separate paint
    Canister not the type with the canister on the gun.
    I already have a nice air compresser so that part would be
    Taking care of.
    Does any one have experince with both of these type sprayers
    Air and electric?
    I was at Lowe's the other day and almost bought an electric one.
    I think it was called the paint crew it was just under 200.00
    Any one got any good tip's?
    Thank's in advance
    Doug
    cdnk5 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2006, 07:45 PM
    From what I have seen the air doesn't work well for non automotive paint. The electric will work well as long as you prep the paint properly and keep it very clean.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2006, 02:41 AM
    I've never never tried the air compressor driven kind, but I've had experience with 2 different Wagner models... and was never thrilled... and now use a campbell-hausfield model and just love it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2006, 03:24 AM
    Hi,
    A good friend is an auto refinisher. All he uses are air sprayers.
    I have used the Wagner electric sprayer; wore out one on my back private fencing. The Wagner is really loud while spraying.
    In my opinion, the air sprayer is better all around.
    Best wishes.
    bradster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 06:51 PM
    I would like to talk to someone that uses air tools, especially in auto paint, if you know someone, I'm geared up, just have a few dent removal questions
    [/B]
    bradster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 06:56 PM
    I've used electric sprayers for walls, and the overspray was just not worth it. I regularly add penetrol to my paint, and use an air sprayer. Yes, it seems a bit crazy to buy a large gallon compressor, air lines, etc. But most compressors come bundled with the tools as well. It quickly opened a new world of tools, and makes nailing, buffing, sanding, painting, easy. So pay 200 for an electric sprayer, and be stuck with just that. Or buy a large air compressor with tool pack, for 200+ and you will see it pay for itself
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 5, 2006, 10:15 AM
    For the painting of interior and exterior of a house, an airless sprayer can't be beat. They are generally best for bigger jobs because of the time consumed in cleaning the equipment. They are great for the inside of a closet. If you are just painting one wall, a roller is more quick. I have a Wagner Paint Crew, purchased on sale at Home Depot for $179. It is probably one of the least expensive airless sprayers going. I have used it a lot and loaned it to friends. It is good to buy a spare inlet valve and spare outlet valve, and crucial to strain the paint.

For automotive use I prefer a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) gravity feed gun. It lays down more material with less overspray. When they first came out, they were very expensive ($500). Now you can buy one from Harbor Freight Tools (made by slaves in China) for $65 or $40 on sale. Once I even painted the exterior of my house with a HVLP gun. This is not a good idea because the paint had to be watered down so much, it took three coats. I hope this helps.
    johnbean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Crf
    I want to get a spray gun but I am not sure which to get.
    If I go with air I would get the type with the seperate paint
    canister not the type with the canister on the gun.
    I already have a nice air compresser so that part would be
    takin care of.
    Does any one have experince with both of these type sprayers
    air and electric?
    I was at lowes the other day and almost bought an electric one.
    I think it was called the paint crew it was just under 200.00
    Any one got any good tip's?
    Thank's in advance
    Doug
    What electric gun should I buy
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 6, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Id stay away from wagner, noise boxes is all they are, depending on what your going to paint will determine what you need to buy, if its walls and trim then an electric airless will do good. You may need to go back over the wall with a roller as someone is spraying.
    If you looking at spraying funiture or small projects then a hvl sprayer is best, they usually have there on air supply so your compressor want be needed, I think you can get them for around 200. I like mine
    Donmas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D View Post
    For the painting of interior and exterior of a house, an airless sprayer can't be beat. They are generaly best for bigger jobs because of the time consumed in cleaning the equipment. They are great for the inside of a closet. If you are just painting one wall, a roller is quicker. I have a Wagner Paint Crew, purchased on sale at Home Depot for $179. It is probably one of the least expensive airless sprayers going. I have used it a lot and loaned it to friends. It is good to buy a spare inlet valve and spare outlet valve, and crucial to strain the paint.

For automotive use I prefer a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) gravity feed gun. It lays down more material with less overspray. When they first came out, they were very expensive ($500). Now you can buy one from Harbor Freight Tools (made by slaves in China) for $65 or $40 on sale. Once I even painted the exterior of my house with a HVLP gun. This is not a good idea because the paint had to be watered down so much, it took three coats. I hope this helps.
    Hey, I was thinking you are very low class for using this word as slaves, they are not slaves but less expensive labour. Perhaps you not educated enough to express it, my reckon you should change you nick as Low class D but not Dr D. My as I can't believe you having you DR... perhap you didn't even finish your high school PIG.
    Donmas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donmas View Post
    Hey, i was thinking you are very low class for using this word as slaves, they are not slaves but less expensive labour. Perhaps you not educated enough to express it, my reckon you should change you nick as Low class D but not Dr D. My as i can't believe you having you DR....perhap you didn't even finish your high school PIG.
    Just can't believe the chinese are getting better, as the number of people are getting their education from oversea but not many white pig can speak, read and write in chinese in this world.. what a shame!!
    sethw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 02:46 PM

How should I thin latex interior paint before using it in an electric spray gun?
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Feb 11, 2010, 12:40 PM

Graco makes good sprayers and you don't thin the paint
    riecard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2010, 12:52 AM
    Ah' but the little slaves in China are happy slaves unlike you dumb stupid fool. At least big D's got some insight, all u do is whine with ignorance.
    riecard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2010, 12:59 AM

The slaves are happy in China, unlike u oh belittled one. At least D's got some insight. Surely it wasn't meant to hurt your little feelings.
    Getting back to the topic: I am interested in the Graco X5. I keep trying to justify getting something for less money, but I know I will probably regret it.
    Every time I buy Ryobi I wish I bought Bosh a month later. You know how that goes.
    cyberwolf187 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donmas View Post
    Hey, i was thinking you are very low class for using this word as slaves, they are not slaves but less expensive labour. Perhaps you not educated enough to express it, my reckon you should change you nick as Low class D but not Dr D. My as i can't believe you having you DR....perhap you didn't even finish your high school PIG.
    Slave [sleɪv]
    n
    1. (Law) a person legally owned by another and having no freedom of action or right to property
    2. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a person who is forced to work for another against his will
    3. a person under the domination of another person or some habit or influence a slave to television
    4. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a person who works in harsh conditions for low pay
    5. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering)
    a. a device that is controlled by or that duplicates the action of another similar device (the master device)
    b. (as modifier) slave cylinder
    Vb
    1. (intr; often foll by away) to work like a slave
    2. (tr) an archaic word for enslave
    [via Old French from Medieval Latin Sclāvus a Slav, one held in bondage (from the fact that the Slavonic races were frequently conquered in the Middle Ages), from Late Greek Sklabos a Slav]

Most specifically look at the business/industrial relations & HR terms... a person who works in hard conditions for low pay... so who needs to finish high school?
    houzemuzik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 02:33 AM
    Oh geeze Donmas, I believe you're taking what Dr.D said, the wrong way. I don't think he was meaning to insult.
    I believe he was just highlighting what is going on there (China), especially to those that don't know.

Cheers,

houzemuzik

Rioryanjr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Yes buy them both.. There cheap.
    Rioryanjr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Comment on cyberwolf187's post
    Slave yes the are. Reason why chinas economy is booming there population are willing to work
    For a penny/hour. Try visiting a Chinese home in america. You will find a Chinese family renter
    Living in a closet, garage sometime bathroom. Witness it!
    rclosas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 07:01 AM
    It's easier to do with the electric type... and please do get those sprayers that have no canisters on the gun... air sprayers are more of a professional automotive thingy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat spray odors [ 3 Answers ]

This may not be the correct forum for this question, but I'll try anyway. Our tenants left our rental home in a mess. The 'mud room' or entry way has an overwhelming odor of cat urine/spray. Does anyone know any way to get rid of the smell, short of ripping up the floor or tearing out walls? The...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Perfume spray [ 1 Answers ]

A number of times the "button" of my perfume bottle has broken of with the bottle at least half-full. How can I use the rest of the perfume?

Ant spray in the refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, During the last influx of ants I sprayed clove herbal non-toxic sray in the freezer to kill the ants that had crept in there. Well, the ants died and have stayed away, but the noxious taste of clove spray is on everything in the fridge and freezer. The stuff obviously got into the vent...

Shorten spray hose [ 2 Answers ]

My spray hose on my kitchen sink is too long and continuously catches on the pipes under the sink. I want to shorten this hose, but have no idea how. Any info is appreciated.

View more questions Search