Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SDWAV Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Maytag Refrigerator Cooling Problem
    Need Help on cooling issue. My maytag MSD2756AEW side by side is not cooling the refrigerator side. When I close the freezer side the cold air stops coming into the refrigerator side. There is no blockage in the crossover vent at the top. Anyone have advice on this? Thanks
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 2, 2006, 08:20 PM
    If either door is open, the airflow will be wrong. Do you see a lot of "snow" or frost building up at the bottom of the freezer rear wall? Do you hear a fan running in the freezer compartment? Where are your controls set? Is the fan back by the compressor running? Have you checked the air duct at the bottom behind the lower crisper drawers? Let me know these answers and we can go from there.

Apr 2, 2006, 09:45 PM
    Both compressor fan and freezer fan are running. No real buildup of frost or ice at bottom back wall of freezer. Now I have the controls set at 5-freezer and 9-refrigerator. I checked the air ducts at the top and bottom. I checked these this morning and the top had a little ice build up and I cleaned it out. The bottom looks clear except the clear plastic flap is bent open a little. I looked behind the inside back panel in the freezer and the coils below the fan were frosted up and the drain pan below the coil was full of frost.

Apr 3, 2006, 04:36 PM
    When you say "frosted up", I wonder if you could be more specific as to how much/how thick the frost is? Does it look like it is so thick that it would severely restrict airflow? Frost in the evaporator drain pan is extremely rare, usually if anything it is full of ice due to a plugged drain tube. Are both doors sealing well all around the doors? It just sounds like maybe there is an air leak somewhere allowing so much heat and moisture into the compartments that the cooling system can't keep up. That's one theory. Another theory is that the defrost termination thermostat is letting the defrost heater stay on too long after the evaporator is defrosted, creating way too much heat, therefore taking way too long to cool down. Usually when this happens, the compartment temps will be OK sometimes and not others. The defrost system is adaptive, which means that the adaptive control determines when to defrost the system based on several different factors, which then means that it would be very hard to "catch it in the act". Looking at your model number, the A in AEW means that it was the first design. There have been literally hundreds of adaptive defrost control (ADC) boards failing since your refrig was built. Wouldn't surprise me if yours is bad. If it is, the frost level will only get worse, and the fresh food temps will only get worse and the unit will run almost constantly. If any of this makes any sense, let me know.

Apr 3, 2006, 09:00 PM
    I changed the adaptive defrost control board today and defrosted the evaporator coil. That took care of the problem. I noticed that the new board was incased in plastic to better protect it from moisture. That may be part of the problem with the old board.

Thanks for all of your great information!

Apr 4, 2006, 04:59 PM
    That's exactly what the enclosure is for, even though it does make it much harder to force a defrost. I guess if it lasts longer, it's worth it. Thanks for the update and I'm glad you got it fixed.
    rely93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SDWAV
    Need Help on cooling issue. My maytag MSD2756AEW side by side is not cooling the refrigerator side. When I close the freezer side the cold air stops coming into the refrigerator side. There is no blockage in the crossover vent at the top. Anyone have advice on this? Thanks
    I had the same problem (Maytag Plus ) with the freezer side working fine and the refrigerator side not cooling. I unscrewed the back panels on the freezer side and noted that the evaporator coils were all iced up. I defrosted the coils and then replaced the defrost board in the refrigerator. Regrigerator is back to normal and cooling great. Defrost board is located on top of refrigertor side underneath the temp control unit. Easy repair once you remove the temp control cover. Unscrew the defrost board and plug new connection in.
    mcgonagles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Similar to rely93, I had the same problem (Maytag Plus ) with the freezer side working fine and the refrigerator side not cooling. I unscrewed the back panels on the freezer side and noted that the evaporator coils were all iced up. I defrosted the coils and then replaced the defrost board in the refrigerator. I thought the Regrigerator WAS back to normal and cooling great however... 2 weeks later my Maytag (MZD2766GEW)refrigerator side temperature has started to creap up above 42 degrees. The evaporator coils are starting to iced up again - about half way iced up. Is there a way to force a defrost? I'm not even sure if my defrost board was bad in the first place. Maybe the problem is in the defrost thermostat or defrost heater or somewhere else? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    mcgonagles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Just when I thought the defroster wasn't working it did in fact defrost. The temperature did go up to about 50 degrees and I thought it wasn't working, when I checked the evaporator coils and they had just been defrosted.
    brian aswani ki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 10:15 PM
    My refrigerator is running but the cooling system does not respond at all
    wiliwili41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
    My maytag regrigerator model MTB219ARW it is frozen my fruits, eggs etc.
    Wath the problem can be please for your help thank you
    carlw1962 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
    My maytag refrigerator is not getting cold refrigerator side freezer is to cold the coils in the back are not ice all up
    Cooler13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2013, 10:27 AM
    I have a Maytag french door refrigerator model MFF2258VEMO and the refrigerator is not cooling but the freezer is working fine. Help Please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Frig not cooling [ 59 Answers ]

Our 4 year old Maytag refrigerator (MTB2156GE) is not providing adequate cooling. We pulled it out and cleaned behind and below- all systems appear to be working, but even as we adjust thermostat for cooler temp, it remains tempid inside. Frig has also been making some loud noises- almost like the...

Maytag Refrigerator MTB1956DEW cooling problems [ 4 Answers ]

Top mounted freezer unit. Refrigerator compartment does not cool enough even though I set temp. control to maximum cool (value 9). Freeezer is working fine, and compressor and fans run properly. Per Maytag I cleaned back bottom compressor, fan and condenser with vacuum cleaner and brush. Still the...

Maytag fridge not cooling II [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I'm a newbie - earlier this year there was a thread describing a problem and solutions almost identical to mine. I have a Maytag Plus refrigerator Model # MTB1956GE*. Like "Maytag fridge not cooling", my evap fan (the one that cools the coils on bottom/rear of fridge) won't always kick on...

Matag Refrigerator Cooling Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Need Help on Refrigerator cooling issue. My maytag MSB2554AR side by side is not cooling the refrigerator side. I have found that the back side of the freezer gets frosted up. I cleaned the coils in back and defrosted the freezer coils. After about t weeks I am running into the same problem. Any...

My Maytag Refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

I Have An 8 Month Old Side By Side, The Door To The Freezer Was Left Open All Day On Accident, Barely Cracked Open,when I Got Home It Was Wet Inside.it Was Making A Clicking Sound Every 15 Minutes And Not Cooling. I Threw All Food Away. Turned Refrig Off. Waited 24hours And Turned It Back On And...

View more questions Search