Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpp41180 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Electric dryer heats up, won't start
    I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty dryer that heats up, but nothing happens when I press that start button. By heating up, I mean I turn the timer dial and I can open the door, look inside, and see the glowing red heating element and it is still heating with the door open. Pressing the start button, with the door open or closed, doesn't do anything (no sound, etc.).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 2, 2006, 08:14 PM
    The reason it won't start is because the small, thin white high temp cutoff on the back of the dryer is blown. The reason it blew is because the heater is probably shorted. Usually when the heater shorts out, it breaks, which would require you to replace it. You must physically remove the heater box, pull out the heater, and visually inspect it for breaks. Let me know if you need additional help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Dryer - heats & runs but stops mid-cycle [ 12 Answers ]

I have been trying to figure out what exactly is up with our Kenmore dryer. We bought it new in 1997 and it has run like a champ till now. It still heats up and the drum still tumbles. In the regular drying cycle - you set the timer for 60 minutes and about 15 minutes into the cycle, the dryer...

Rear bearing on General Electric clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to replace the rear bearing on dryer model DDE6500GALAD? I can put a drop of oil on it from the rear of the dryer and it stops squeaking for a few loads but then starts again. I can't find any documentation for it on the GE site. Thanks

Magic chef electric dryer thermal cutoff [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Magic Chef electric dryer model # YE/YG225LV, the dryer runs but doesn't heat up. I had this problem before and the part # 279769 was replaced by my dad last year and that solved the problem. My dad recently has passed away, and I want to know how to replace this part again, and...

Whirlpool electric dryer not fully drying [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool electric dryer model number gew9868kq0. When I have a little load it dries OK in auto mode. When I have a med to full load I have to start it up a few times to dry in auto sensing mode. Any help would be great... Mike

Electric Dryer Question [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire Electric Dryer that is taking entirely too long to dry clothes. It takes about 3 dryer cycles (approximately 3 hours) to get one regular load of clothes to dry completely. When I open the dryer, it feels pretty warm/hot. Any ideas what could be causing this?

View more questions Search