Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowalps Posts: 141, Reputation: 7

Jul 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
    What is this insect/bug?
    Hi.. I got itching after I woke up in the morning. I found this bug near the place I sleep. Does anyone know what it is? I have never seen this kind of insect before.. its really small but I managed to take a pic from my cam!

Thanks!
    Attached Images

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Is it slimy, fuzzy or how would you describe it?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 05:15 PM
    I have contacted my friend who is an entimologist, he'll get back to me when he can, hopefully I'll have an answer for you. :)

Jul 17, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Thnnx altenweg.. will be waiting to hear. Its not slimy.. its very small the size of an ant...
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Snowalps, be forewarned, it might take a few days for him to get back to me, he's very busy, but I know he will return my email, so now it's just wait and see. :)

Jul 17, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Okie and thanks again..
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Snowalps, he actually got back to me sooner than I thought. He said that it looks squished and that he'd need a better picture to give an accurate answer. Based on what I sent him (the two pics you posted) his best guess is that it's some kind of larva, but what kind exactly he cannot tell based on that pic. He did say to tell you that's it's most likely not dangerous. I hope this helps.

By the way, he is one of the top Entimologists out there, so he know what he's talking about. :);)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Below, is a sharpened and enhanced image of the bug that I hope will be helpful in the identification of it. Yuck! :eek:
    Attached Images

WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
    I agree that it looks like a larvae or pupa.

-
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 03:25 AM
    Does that... thing... move!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 03:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008
    Does that .... thing.... move!?
    I kind of hope not! Doesn't really look like it could be able to! :eek:

Jul 18, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Thanks clough for getting the sharpened image! Guys this look dreadful on the pic here but believe me its so small that I really marvel my camera now!! It's the size of an ant the small black ant.. and its dead now so it can't move anyway! I didn't find more of it so I hope this won t be a problem. But I have that red itching rash on my hands and I am not able to track what caused it// may be it was this larva or bug or whatever after all!! I don't know!
    Anyone any advise?? Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Yeah lava or slug was what I was thinking but she said it is not slimy like.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Bed bugs are a likely suspect for bites obtained in the bedroom and you really don't want to have them. I did help someone get rid of them once. I only advised and he did all the work. I never saw his appt. He didn't even own a vacuum cleaner at the time. That pic does look like larvae of some kind and not the bed bug variety.

Since you have the rash on your hands it may just be contact dermititus. An alergic reaction to something you touched.

They can easily be brought home if you have been traveling and staying in hotels.

The one thing you really didn't provide is "how big" in a real size or in comparison with another object that we know like a dime or even a ruler. With that I could have measured the bug from the photo.

I have been having my share of extermination problems in the past couple of years.

Last year was bees. Possibly carpenter bees because they were really aggressive. Patching holes in trees is interesting.

This year some form of bug that likes rice. A hot/cold pack was given to us which had rice inside. Well, there were bugs inside too. They liked wool and rice. The process wasn't fun, but it was a lot easier than the bed bug process which ultimately involves sealing the matress for a few weeks until they die.

This year I am also dealing with carpenter ants and slugs, although not inside. They are messing with an oak and an apple tree.

Ants have also been a problem this year and so have mosquitoes.

Bed Bug Bite Symptoms
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Snowalps, you probably carried it in from outside, on your clothes or body, but I've been assured that it is harmless, especially now that it's dead.;)

It's possible that you carried more in, but doubtful, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I did write back to my friend and tell him the size, hopefully he can figure out what it would have been had it lived. :)

Good luck.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 18, 2008, 09:39 PM
    It's unlikely your rash/itch came from this critter...

-
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:41 AM
    Or when it was still alive and snowalps would be sleeping. And then , he would let his own body weight onto it and it would get asphyxiated!

(well, I'm not sure but in case you, snowalps is a she, then you know what I meant... )

Jul 19, 2008, 04:44 PM
    You are right wvhiflyer. I don't think either... and unknown008 by the way it's a 'he'.. :-)
    Altenweg, thanks a bunch for your advise.. I really appreciate it... tc.
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
    No problem, if you have bunny questions I can answer those without asking someone else, for bugs, I've got my bug guy. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Ok, snowalps, my first supposition was correct then!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Insect sex attractants [ 2 Answers ]

What are drawbacks of insect sex attractants/

Insect sterilization [ 1 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of insect sterilization?

What do I do if my dog got an insect bite near the eye? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I need to no ASAP, what I should do if my dog got stung by an insect near the eye? Someone please respond, I am in need of a solution.:(

Insect help! [ 7 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

Insect help! [ 2 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

View more questions Search