Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batgirl2009 Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jul 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Treatment of African Americans
    Okay, so this fall I will be a senior in high school so I have started looking at colleges. I'm not worried about distance if I find a school that I really like. It just so happens that I found a school in Australia. It's Bond University and I would love to go there. I have been emailing the International Students Coordinator and think this could be great. The problem is that my parents are worried about how I (an African American) will get treated. My dad was down there not too long ago and had nothing positive to say about it. Any thoughts? This is a school that I really want to go to but not if I'm going to have difficulty fitting into the environment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Racism - Global Issues
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by batgirl2009
    Okay, so this fall I will be a senior in high school so I have started looking at colleges. I'm not worried about distance if I find a school that I really like. It just so happens that I found a school in Australia. It's Bond University and I would love to go there. I have been emailing the International Students Coordinator and think this could be great. The problem is that my parents are worried about how I (an African American) will get treated. My dad was down there not too long ago and had nothing positive to say about it. Any thoughts? This is a school that I really want to go to but not if I'm going to have difficulty fitting into the environment.
    Racism exists everywhere... if you are OK with this issue in US, you will be fine there. When compare with studying in UK, I am more comfortable in UK.... just personal thought.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jul 19, 2008, 12:53 PM
    I feel bad that it has to come down to that, if you really want to go down there it might be a ggod thing if you stand up for yourself, and show people that there is no difference between what colour you are than you may just be the person to change things and make it a better place, if you do go be strong and never lat anyone make you feel different... ;)
    hard2get Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 12:55 PM
    I honestly feel that you should follow your gut instinct. If you really want to go to this school and if you feel that this particular school will better you in life than you should definitely go for it.I am a Senior too and I am also an african american. Racism is something that you might encounter for the rest of your life.You'll never know how it is there if you never try it.It might be great and you may love it. I think you should go for it and see for yourself if it's the right decsion
    batgirl2009 Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Everyone made really valid points. So... thanks! Starfirefly are you very sweet and I will keep that in mind. Thanks guys.
    secretscorpio Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Why don't you study in your own country since America has better universities than Australia?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
    That is a matter of opinion. Australia has some highly reputable universities. Each country has universities better suited to their own populations and acceptance of qualifications internationally can sometimes be a problem
    Memory Fracture Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Racism definitely exists here in Australia. But no more so than in the U.S.
    You would probably find people to be more likely to insult you (usually jokingly) for being an American, more than for an African-American.

This may not be relevant. But during World War II the American navy had fleets docked in Australia. It's reported that the white American sailors found it strange that their black American counterparts weren't segregated in Australian society like they were in the U.S. at the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skin Lightening for African Americans! [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I've been checking out the forums on skin whitening for african americans and I'm confused and really need help. I'm a very dark person due to being in the sun all day I'd like lighten up at least 3-4 shades. If anyone can assist me on some good information, or products to try it would be...

Civil war and african americans [ 4 Answers ]

How did america's first attempt at integration manifest and evolvein the first 30 years after the civil war??

A Q for Dark Skinned Africans OR African Americans [ 3 Answers ]

hi! no offense to ANYONE on here, but i am having difficulty understanding who is getting results and what TYPE of results you were initially seeking. i, of course am a medium brown skinned(but i glow a reddish brown, in parts) like MISSY ELLIOT'S COMPLEXION. I am reading that some have used...

View more questions Search