Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BELEGAY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Credit card debt
    Recently I received a summons from magistrate court regarding a department store credit card. The account was opened in 2001 and was closed by consumer in 2003. I haven't received anything from the card company, and now I have been contacted by an attorney's office regarding the case. I must file or dispute w/i 30 days. What is the statue of limitation in Ga. And what do I need do about the situation. I haven't admitted to anything or offered to pay any money. The rep from the attorney's office wanted me to make arrangements to pay over the phone. I advise I was not familiar with the charge and ask for additional information on the case. She declined and told me to contact the card company and to look on my credit report. I contacted the card company, and they advised the account has been sold. I tried to contact that creditor and all that did was to lead me back to the attorney's office. I'm confused and running out of time!!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 02:25 PM
    You should write a response and get it in the mail within the allowed time limit.

I recommend sending it via certified mail, return receipt requested.

In the letter, request validation of the debt, and deny any knowledge of the debt, and indicate that you are prepared to defend against this action.

Then show up for the court date, and present your defense.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
    If the account was closed by consumer and paid it must be an error or a scam, make it simple go online straight to the BBB and attorney general consumer protection office and file complaints against that people, see what they got. Send them a certified letter instructing them to never call you again in regard to that account.

If you closed the account with a balance and never pay it do as progunr said sart the validation process with the collectors but ask them for the credit card application signed by you statements and purchase agreement, press complaints, same day send the DV later, they'll get first the DV letter and next day the BBB complaint.

The statute for open accounts in GA is four years since last payment be sure you didn't pay anyhing in the last four years, that'sthe reason why they wanted you to pay over the phone whatever amount, so they can sue you.

Carl.-
    farmgirlmo Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BELEGAY
    recently i received a summons from magistrate court regarding a department store credit card. the account was opened in 2001 and was closed by consumer in 2003. i haven't received anything from the card company, and now i have been contacted by an attorney's office regarding the case. i must file or dispute w/i 30 days. what is the statue of limitation in Ga. and what do i need do about the situation. i haven't admitted to anything or offered to pay any money. the rep from the attorney's office wanted me to make arrangements to pay over the phone. i advise i was not familiar with the charge and ask for additional information on the case. she declined and told me to contact the card company and to look on my credit report. i contacted the card company, and they advised the account has been sold. i tried to contact that creditor and all that did was to lead me back to the attorney's office. i'm confused and running out of time!!!
    Is this on your credit report? You can get free reports at www.annualcreditreport.com if you are eligible.

Make certain your answer the summons within the time.

If closed in 2003, I am sure it past SOL. I would answer the summons that you are not aware of the debt( if you are truly unaware of it) and that a credit card debt closed from 2003 is time-barred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

View more questions Search