Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GarrettF Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Screeching fan motor in outdoor condenser
    Hi,

My 18-month-old home has two condensers in the back yard; one is working fine, the other woke up half the neighborhood at 3am this morning when it started screeching until I shut it off. Aside from the noise, the fan is turning. I've noticed two things, either of which I think could be the problem.

1. The bottom of the problem motor is covered with a black crusty substance, which the other one is free of. Could this indicate that the "permanent lubrication" has leaked out of the motor? If so, do I need a new motor?

2. When I open the condenser, I notice that the fan assembly is "loose"; there is some play, and I can move the assembly up and down a bit. Could the screeching just be vibration from this, or is this play normal?

If I have to replace the motor, I'm fine with that. I'm going to be renting this house out soon and living in Korea for a few years, so I'd rather have this fixed now before I make that move.. especially since the local shops want $90 just to come out and look!
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 11:27 AM
    At 18 months old, it should be under warranty

Jul 17, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop
    at 18 months old,,it should be under warrenty
    Oh yes, it's under warranty.. for parts only. A guy I know who works for my builder says that the contracted company will charge $800 for labor to replace the fan motor.. but hey, the motor's free!

So yeah, I'm not crazy about that solution. Here is a picture of the offending fan motor:

That brown gunk does not exist on the working motor in the other condenser, it's spotless. I know the setscrew is missing on the photo, I'd just taken it out when I took the picture.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jul 17, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettF
    Oh yes, it's under warranty.. for parts only. A guy I know who works for my builder says that the contracted company will charge $800 for labor to replace the fan motor.. but hey, the motor's free!

So yeah, I'm not crazy about that solution. Here is a picture of the offending fan motor:

That brown gunk does not exist on the working motor in the other condenser, it's spotless. I know the setscrew is missing on the photo, I'd just taken it out when I took the picture.
    That robbery or they are charging $300 + per hr
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
    $800.00 is totally outragious,, $250.00 would be a big price,if you have the motor, its not 30 minutes work
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Looks like you lost the oil seal. 800.00 is way too much to change a motor.

Jul 17, 2008, 08:49 PM
    OK, so I've picked up a replacement motor (Dayton 4M205G), and I'm going to attempt the replacement tomorrow. One issue: the old motor had 3 lines, this new one has 5.

In the image below, the top picture shows where the three original lines were plugged in:

1. brown
    2. black
    3. yellow

The bottom picture just shows the originals as they were before I removed them. The new motor has the following:

Brown/white
    Brown
    Black
    Purple
    Green - I know what to do with this.

Any advice on how to configure these four lines would be greatly appreciated!
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 08:57 PM
    I hope you new or someone told you,, you need a new capiciter that matches what the new motor calls for, if you didn`t get one,before install,the motor has a diagram on side that tell you where each wire goes

Jul 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop
    I hope you new or someone told you,,,,you need a new capiciter that matches what the new motor calls for,,if you didn`t get one,befor install,the motor has a diagram on side that tell you where each wire goes
    Really? I thought that since the new motor matches the old one in every way, that I could use the old capacitor. There is a chart on the new motor:

Brown/white----------------------C
    ----------------------------------A
    Brown----------------------------P
    Purple-------common-------------.------L1
    Black-----------------------------.------L2
    Green-----------------------------GROUND

OPTIONAL 3 WIRE CONNECTION
    Brown/white... INSULATE
    Brown... C
    ... A
    Purple... P... L1

I'll be back at Grainger tomorrow morning anyway, so if if picking up a new capacitor is the right thing to do, I will do it. I assume I leave the old one in there since
    The compressor appears to be using it, so I would then have two capacitors in there?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Just get a new dual capacitor, (exact replacement of what is there) that will be the easiest for you to change. Othwise you have to mount the new cap somewhere, it's totally up to you, the are not very expensive.

Jul 18, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Got everything plugged in and turned it on; SUCCESS! The new fan is working like a charm so far, and the lower floor is cooling as I type this. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days; thanks for your help, guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old AC condenser fan motor - which wires are which? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Climatrol unit with an Emerson condenser motor that is shot. I bought an Emerson Rescue motor to replace it from the local AC supply store. The wiring diagram was stored in the AC unit, and it is no longer readable. The three disconnected motor wires from the old unit are yellow,...

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Ijust replace the condenser fan on my rheem ac unit.The old fan had three wire brown yellow and black ,the new fan have four wire two browns yellow and black.I was told by the saleman to hook both brown to the new single capacitor and the yellow & black to the contactor.My old capacitor had a (c)...

Condenser Fan Motor Replacement [ 9 Answers ]

I’m attempting to replace the condenser fan motor on a Trane XB1000. It originally came with a .25 hp GE motor with mounting stud that are about 3 inches apart. The only suitable replacement that specs out (type, volts, amps, rpm, etc.) is an AO Smith unit, but the mounting studs are about 3.75...

Condenser Fan Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched th web for a cross-match for a condenser fan motor for a RHEEM model RAKA-036JAS 3.0 Ton A/c Unit To no avail. R.S. R.Ph.

Condenser motor [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my condenser motor does not come on when I turn on my air conditioner. Is this something I can fix.

View more questions Search