Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desifob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Tuition interest h1b
    Hi Atlanta Tax expert,

I have been in the US on an F1b since 1998, I changed status from f1 to h1b in July 2005. Given that my 5 years as a nonresident on f1 ended in 2003, I am filing 1040.

I have paid tuition, and also interest on student loans in 2005. The interest was paid to a bank in India. Can I claim this on 1040?

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 06:39 PM
    You can claim the Education Credit because you are a residnet alien.

You CANNOT claim the student loan deduction because it must be paid to a U.S.-based banking institution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tuition and Fees Deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, First of all, thank you for taking time in providing solutions for tax related issues. Here is my situation and question: I am filing resident 1040 MFJ return. In 2005, I have paid $12000 to a university for my MBA course. My employer reimbursed me $3000 out of the $12000. I am...

Tuition deduction - F1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, if I'm on F1 visa, can I deduct tuition as higher education expenses? 4,000? Thanks a lot!

Paying fiancŽ's Tuition? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am a graduate student and am engaged to be married in August of this year, 2006. The only debt I currently have are undergraduate student loans. I have a small amount of savings and am able to support myself while going to graduate school without taking out more loans. My fiancé...

Tuition fee deductions on H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your reply. Hi, As per this Link ,http://www.montana.edu/pps/Taxes/SubstantialPresenceTest.pdf I am not sure whether I AM RESIDENT OR NON RESIDENT ALIEN?

Tuition [ 5 Answers ]

I seriosly need to know the pros and cons of tuition(extra classes).I am joining a debate:eek: Please send me links to other websites which r related to what I need to know.Please do help and thank you.

View more questions Search