Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janlafata Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Wrong IE links opening for me in x64 OE
    I have Windows XP Pro x64. Because of that stupid problem with there being no Adobe flash avaiable for the x64 Internet Explorer, I use the x32 IE.

Problem is Outlook Express is x64 bit and when I go to open up an Internet Explorer link, it opens up with the x64 Internet Explorer and then I will usually run into that Flash install problem again.

How do I get it to open up with the x32 Internet Explorer?

I did try to change this in XP's Program Access and Defaults, but it didn't work.

In XP I opened up Program Access and Defaults, then I clicked on Custom where it says "Choose a default Web Browser. It was set on "Use my current browser" but I changed it to Internet Explorer.

I saw no mention though of any option to choose between x64 and x32 IE. So then I clicked on OK and a brief, small, little confirmation window came up.I thought that was that. But then when I opened a link in Outlook Express, it still opened with x64 IE.

When I went back into to Program Access and Defaults to check it, it was still set back on "Use my current browser" even though I had tried to change it.

I don't know if x64 Vista Basic has more of an option to change this, because I may be switching to that soon, but I'd still like to know if it's possible to do on XP x64.

Incedentily, I have contacted other fine tech suppoert sites and they have been unable to find anything out for me.

At d-a-l.com tech support a moderator was able to send me this information:

"Actually, this doesn't surprise me. OE is 64-bit. When 64-bit programs indirectly call other programs, they seem to always get the 64-bit version if there is one. I'm not sure what the workaround is, but I suspect your best bet is to ask over on one of the developer groups."

And that's about as far as I have gotten.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Check out some similar questions!

Opening links [ 6 Answers ]

Could some one please help us, all of a sudden when I try to open a link I can't unless I right click and choose open link, before I just had to double click and it would open, also when I put in a CD I now have to go through my computer to be able to play it.:mad:

IE7 on XP: desktop shortcuts 2 links open wrong browser [ 7 Answers ]

I use Outlook 2002 for all my email and IE7 for all my internet browsing. I have a few websites that I want to access immediately (w/o having to open browser and select from list). I have tried every way possible to move a favorite to my desktop as a shortcut, but when I select it, it asks "SBC...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.