Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 16, 2008, 11:45 PM
    Abandoned Swallows
    We found these 4 baby red-breasted swallows in a barn and the mother abandoned them. They had been there for 3 days before we took them home.

Someone said to feed them a mixture of water, oatmeal and egg yoke for protein. That's what we've done and they've revived and gotten energy, but I'm curious if there is something else we should feed them or do.

Please help!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 07:00 AM
    What you should really do is call your local ASPCA or Google if there are any bird rescues or bird rehabilitation centers around, and have them come get the baby birds.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 01:15 PM
    I agree with Charlotte. These birds are very finicky and need the proper care and handling in order to survive, it's best to turn them over to an expert.

These birds are also, unfortunately, the carriers of many diseases, be sure to wear gloves when handling them, their feces can be dangerous.

Here is some info on swallows that might be helpful;

Swallows (Hirundo rustica)
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Thanks! My mom has taken over caring for them -- hand feeding them and stuff. I told her to call the humane society to see if they knew where to take them, don't know if she's done it (she never listens to me) but she good about the gloves and washing her hands and stuff. So we'll see...
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Aug 10, 2008, 05:09 PM
    They would be better off been fed on hand rearing formula,
    Can be brought from major petstores or ordered in from the smaller stores, this way they get all vitimins they need,
    Is also an eggfood which will give it the biotines and also contains insects,
    As swallows are mainly insect eaters you may need to buy mini mealworms or fruit flys or similar,
    Hand rearing is hard work, especially for the insect eaters, perseverance is the key,
    Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Abandoned by parents [ 11 Answers ]

I have often wondered why parents leave or how they can leave and never or many years later get into contact with their kids. If you have been one of these parents, please share. I know that many children of such parents would truly like to understand why. I don't want this post to be about...

Ex abandoned his child and I and now wants something to do with her. [ 2 Answers ]

I was never married to my ex, but we had a child together. While I was pregnant he never wanted me there and kicked me and the baby out when she was 6 weeks old. He didn't talk to us until she was ten months old. He decided then that he wanted something to do with her, after I filed for support...

My puppy eats (swallows) rocks, big ones! [ 2 Answers ]

My dog eats rocks. Last night he pooped out 4 rather large rocks. He is well fed, walked, and loved. I can't keep every single rock away from him, since they do occur in nature. I have no idea how he swallows these rocks and how they pass through his system. Help!

Pregnant and abandoned [ 3 Answers ]

I am pregnant with twins and the father whom I was about to marry decided that he would become abusive towards me and I left the violent situation. The father is now stating that the children are not his. Are there any rights to sue him civil other than child support when the twins are born. This...

BUY abandoned house [ 1 Answers ]

How can I do to buy abandoned house,where is the right place to find all the information

View more questions Search