Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Onion residue?
    I know that onion is bad for dogs. But what about things that are just flavored with them? For example, I recently made some chicken broth (cook chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and herbs/spices together for a long time, and then strain the liquid), which I have divided up and frozen in serving sizes. Would it be OK to let Trink have a broth ice-cube to lick on during these hot summer days, or would the fact that it was made with onions be bad for her? The only onion in the broth is what managed to get past the strainer, after being cooked for hours.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jul 16, 2008, 10:04 PM
    I didn't know about onions. I just found out dogs can't have grapes either. To be on the safe side I would probably stay away from onion anything altogether.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jul 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
    I should add unless a vet says differently. Maybe small amounts won't hurt.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Good question! I'm a passionate cook, and I spend a lot of time during the winter and fall months making homemade stocks and broth, all of which have onion in them. I know that broth is very healthy, and dogs love the taste. I would really like to know if cooking reduces or increases the onion issue because it would be a shame to have to leave it out of the pup's winter meals. Making the broth without the onion wouldn't come out right, but I suppose I could make a separate batch for the pooch if necessary...

I was surprised to learn about the onion issue (but now I see it everywhere I look!) because I know that my hubby's family's dogs eat them maybe everyday in one way or another. I do NOT condone this, but this is not my decision. They live in a very different culture where dogs eat what the humans eat - pasta with tomato sauce, meats (no bones), fish, fruits, some veggies, country bread, etc. with pasta as their main staple. All of the sauces use onion, and they don't make separate batches for the dogs so the seasoning is for humans. They're both rotties. One is overweight, but the female is normal size. They've been eating this way their whole lives (I think they are age 8 and age 3), and they are still living. So it might depend on the dog, but maybe onion as an additional ingredient is not necessarily fatal.

I don't think a broth ice cube could possibly contain enough onion to make your dog sick, but I guess it would depend on how concentrated the broth was and if your dog were to be as allergic to onions as some people are to peanuts. Let's hope we can get a definite answer to this one!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Removing adhesive residue from wood cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved, and the movers wrapped plastic tape around many pieces of my furniture to keep drawers from opening, pieces from falling out, etc. It seemed okay at the time, but when the tape was removed, some nasty adhesive residue from the tape was left behind on the wooden furniture,...

How to remove paint stripper residue spots from vinyl siding [ 8 Answers ]

I tried to strip the paint from my patio railing than is next to my vinyl siding. Of course, it didn't work and now I have spots of paint stripper on my vinyl siding. It was an environmentally safe product with no harsh chemicals. But, I want to get rid of the spots. Anyone got any ideas?

Sooty black residue in tub [ 2 Answers ]

We have recently remodelled the bathroom, keeping the tub but with new hardware. Recently upon filling the tub, spots of a black greasy substance are found floating in the water. It will adhere to body and tub, difficult to clean off. Not evident in other sinks, although the tub is the only...

Residue from duct tape on ceramic tile [ 3 Answers ]

We used some duct tape to hold the tiles in place on a vertical surface, now we need to clean the residue without scratching the glazed surface. I tried using acetone nail polish remover, but it dries too rapidly. Any suggestions?

ONION SMELL in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We have an onion smell in our bathroom that we cannot figure it out. Our house is professionally cleaned and lets say spotless. We have used many produces and nothing works... we cannot tell Where is is coming from. Our housekeeper, my husband and myself Have smelled everything in the room and...

View more questions Search