Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Charging Batteries In Series
    TK, Got a question.
    I have two 12 volt batteries in series that run a 24 volt scooter motor.
    What kind of a adapter do I have to have to charge two 12 volt batteries hooked in series? A 12 volt one or a 24 volt one? I charged the scooter last night with a 12.5volt/3amp. Adapter but this morning they were still dead. I unhooked them and am now charging them separately to see if they'll hold a chatge. I guess if one will hold a charge at 12 volts then two in series will need a 24 volt adapter to charge them both. Correct? Thanks much. Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 07:25 PM
    You will need a 60 hz 24 VDC charger. It should have at least a 3 amp output.

There are basically 3 size batteries depending on the type and brand of the scooter you have. The most common type on the smaller scooters such as the Pride Sonic would be a 12 vt 12 amp/hour battery.

The scooter chargers normally are either built into the scooter and you merely plug into it. Or you have a off board charter. All scooters and power chairs sold in the US have the same three pin adapter plug.

But if you have one of the larger scooters with the large batteries, you will need a 4 or 5 amp charger.

If you are talking them out, yes you can charge them with a 12 volt charger. The smaller 12 amp batteries often will overcharge very easy.

Also most of the scooter batteries will not recharge if you let them go all the way dead.

I am a Pride and Invacare service tech ( I operate one of the largest service centers in TN on power wheel chairs and scooters)

If it is a Pride or Invacare product I can tell you other possible issues.
    And what happened to the charger that came with the scooter.
    What type of plug does the scooter have to charge the scooter.

Also if it uses the 12 vt 12 amp hour batteries ( little grey batteries about 4 pounds each, they are available actually at walmart, it is the same battery used in many of the childred power cars. The children toys only use one battery not two, but it is the same battery.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Thanks Chuck for responding. This isn't a "scooter chair", this is a Aggressor Razer Type two wheel scooter.
    It uses two GS12M4LC 12V4AH/10hr Batteries in series. The charging instructions on the battery say, (Application) floating use. (Voltage Regulation) 13.5-13.3v (Initial Current) No limit
    (Application) cycle use (Voltage Regulation) 14.4-15.0v (Initial Current)0.24 c max.
    What's all that mean and do I still need a 24 vdc/3a adapter?
    I really appreciate your assistance. Regards, Tom
    Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Assuming they work the same as the "medical mobiiity" type chairs as long as the two batteries are connected in series, they will be producing 24 vt output to power the scooter. Thus when charging, you will have to charge at 24 vt unless you disconnect the batteris from each other and change them separate.

** and yes when we say 12 vt, they are really 14.5 vt. As in the medical scooters, unless they have 26 vt min they will not even turn on. So a true 24 vt would not actually even let them turn on

Did they not come with a built in charger for it?

Also if you go to the toy section at walmart, where those electric cars are, look at the battieries they carry and sell and the battery chargers there.
    I have some clients who go there to buy their battieries and the such.
    They don't want to pay me 50 dollar service call to change them.

My best quess is still a 24 vt charger, I don't know if it would have to be a 3A since your battery is only a 4AH, and the smallest ones we do is 12ah.

Also check to see if the charger you are using will allow it to start charging if the batteries are completely discharged.

All of the medical scooter chargers will not start charging if there is no power at all in the batteries (safty so the charger will not produce power if there is no battery attached
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Thanks Chuck, I'll start looking around for a charger. How much at a Scooter Store? Thanks again. Tom
    Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Retail price because they are of course a medical item run 150 to 400 dollars.

( yep for a battery charger) and of course 50 dollars for me to show a person where to plug it in.

If it was any higher I would have to have a mask and a gun.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Retail price because they are of course a medical item run 150 to 400 dollars.

( yep for a battery charger) and of course 50 dollars for me to show a person where to plug it in.

If it was any higher I would have to have a mask and a gun.
    24 volt scooter charger on E-Bay = 21 bucks Why the big difference?
    Tom
    Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 12:09 PM
    The average wholesale cost from the manufactor on a new one would be about 50 to 75 dollars.

Now this is the brands I buy.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Chuck,

Ya sold me! I want to quit plumbing and go where the big bucks are. Could you use another salesman in your store?? :=) Tom
    Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 04:49 PM
    I had to lay off everyone but my wife and I ( and one contract service tech)

Overall business has went way down over the last few years.

And of course having to meet all of the board of pharamacy requirements
    And all of the medicare laws.

And of course wait about 4 or 5 months to get paid

And pay for the education, for example we have to be licenced with the board of pharamcy and with medicare, and now we will have to be certified by an outside agency in the next year.

The meeting just to find out about the certificatiion is about 500 just to learn what you have to learn. And the test is another 200 dollars to take.

But it is about the same in a lot of industry, for example commercial pressure washers, the manufactor suggested retail price on brands like karcher, hotsy, landau are double the wholesale cost.
    And the chemicals are higher than that. It was not uncommom to sell a 55 gallon of cleaner that we paid 30 dollars for for 200 dollars. ( not including cost of drum that we always tried to reuse)
    CuriousOne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2006, 04:23 PM
    This is more like a follow up question than an Answer.

If two batteries are in series then EXACTLY the same number of electrons flows through each of them as they charge. It is current, which is the flow of electrons that actually charges the batteries, not voltage, which is like pressure, which is not the same as flow through the battery.

If one battery is less charged than the other. Doesn't that mean that the less charge battery will not get a full charge once the more charge battery is fully charged?.

In other words, if a battery is fully charge doesn't its resistance go way up and thus make the charging of the other battery stop or become very slow?

Also wouldn't the more fully charged battery become overcharged?

I notice that lap-top batteries have many contacts and I assumed that is so that each battery can charge to the full independent of all the other batteries.

Thanks
    reaumer450 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 12:04 AM
    Fr_chuck

Please email me, [email protected]

I have a pride jet 3 ultra... it won't charge. I came across this site, and I would really like to talk to you.

Please and thank you. -brian

Mar 12, 2010, 12:04 AM
    Fr_chuck

I have a pride jet 3 ultra... it won't charge. I came across this site, and I would really like to talk to you.

Please and thank you. -brian

Mar 12, 2010, 12:08 AM

Fr_chuck:

I have a pride jet 3 ultra scooter, it won't charge.

I am attempting to charge the batteries individually. I found this site and you seem like the guy to talk to. Please and thank you-brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Batteries in children's toys [ 1 Answers ]

I have been noticing that instructions in several battery operated children's toys state not to use re-chargeable batteries. I am wondering if anyone knows why this is. With all the battery operated toys now on the market, I find it much more economical to use rechargeables, but of course would not...

Car batteries [ 8 Answers ]

I had quick question as to what you guys thought about car batteries and what I should look for when purchasing. Specifically, I wanted to know if I should be concerned with the cold cranking amps as much. For example, should I buy one that has 770 over one that has 675 if I could get the lower...

Batteries Keep Going Out [ 2 Answers ]

I've just started to have a problem with my thermostat losing battery power. This is actually shutting down my heat. I have put fresh batteries in twice over the last two weeks, reprogrammed the thermostat - only to have it happen again today. Is this the thermostat going bad?

Batteries [ 1 Answers ]

Any one here know about batteries, I am looking to find out about 2- 6V batteries hooked up in parallel. Wanting to know the total amperage if each is xxx. Do they add? (CCA and CA) Jerry

View more questions Search