Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjstyl2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Personal Loan or other options
    I am looking to purchase a used vehicle and am contemplating getting a personal loan of about $5000. My credit score is OK at over 600.

Are there any better options?
    Or what type of rates should I be looking for?

I am in NJ.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
    If you had a perfect credit score, then interest rates should be of no worry to you.
    The lower your credit score is, the higher interest rate you'll get.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 16, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjstyl2
    I am looking to purchase a used vehicle and am contemplating getting a personal loan of about $5000. My credit score is ok at over 600.

Are there any better options?
    Or what type of rates should I be looking for?

I am in NJ.
    Hello -

A personal loan for a used vehicle is not the best option. Personal loans are higher interest rate loans than an auto loan and given your credit score, you would definitely want to consider an auto loan over a personal loan.

To give you an idea of what rates you'd be looking at in general (without the lender checking your credit) check out these links:

Mortgage Loans - Compare Mortgage Rates - MSN Money... (personal loan)
    Auto Loans - Compare Auto Loan Rates - MSN Money... (auto loan)

If you can be real aggressive at paying down debt, take advantage of a credit card offer for 0% financing over 12-14 months. Take a direct deposit payment from the creditor, have your bank give you a certified bank check and bring it to the dealer in the amount of $4200 and tell them this is all you have to pay for a used car, take it or leave it. You can play a little hardball with the dealer and get a better price. Plus, you'll get 0% financing over 14 months and pay $350 a month. Again, this is very aggressive, I know and if you couldn't afford that much of a payment, then don't take my advice. But it is a unique strategy that can work... I've done it before.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
    A little over 600 won't do. You are looking at a subprime loan putting the car as collateral and at least 20% APR, No cheap unsecure personal loans under 680 that I know of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a Personal Loan, But I have No Credit [ 2 Answers ]

I need a personal loan of about five or six thousand dollars. I have no previous credit and I don't know anyone who has good enough credit to co-sign for me to take a loan out of the bank. It is extremely important that I have this loan within the next week or so, due to medical problems that I...

Questions on personal loan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am working here in US on H-1 Visa since 2005. I have got very good credit history here. I would like to buy property in India and hence I am looking for a personal loan in US. The money I would get as personal loan would go for existing properties maintenance as well. I have got...

Personal loan vs gift [ 3 Answers ]

I gave $2,000 to then-boyfriend to help him with general living expenses while he was studying to sit for the bar exam. I wrote 3 separate checks over 4 months, noting "loan" in the memo section of the check. We did not discuss any specific repayment terms but he assured me verbally that once he...

A personal loan I made [ 19 Answers ]

A friend of mine asked me to lend $2500 to her, for her daughter who could not pay her Morguage for the month because her husband lost days at work. I took the cash out Of my savings a/c and as instructed, put it into my friends a/c at another bank. It has been over a year and all I got was...

Personal Loan [ 1 Answers ]

I am a small company looking for a personal loan. I have bad credit and the company has only been around for 7 months. I am looking for $8,000.00 over 3 years and am willing to pay a high interest rate. I would like the loan to be unsecured but am willing to put the Equipment I own up for...

View more questions Search