Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    astutebuyer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Adult Child evicted from home?
    Anyone know how, in GA, to be sure you can evict your 18-year old drug abusing adult son? I am told that merely telling him to leave (done) and changing the locks (done) is not sufficient.

Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Who told you that,

In GA yes that is all you have to do. If he comes back to do damage to the house you have to be willing to call the police. I have worked as a police officer for many years in south GA and in Atlanta, and we would merely laugh at the kids that ever called us for the mom or dad kicking them out.

My best suggestion is to pay for his deposit and first month rent to move him out.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Hi, astute,
    I agree with the answer before mine.
    I have gone through the same thing, many years ago, with my ex-wife's brother... different state.
    If your son continues trying to get back into the house, you can call your local Police. You can also file a "restraining order" or "peace bond" with a Magistrate, if you have one. Or, with the local Court Clerk's Office, to be signed by a judge. Hopefully, it won't go that far.
    I do wish you the best. Unfortunately, you probably already know that there is nothing you can do for your son. He has to realize he has a drug problem himself, and seek out help.
    Having him stay in your home is called "enabling". That means you are just helping him with his addiction. Hopefully, throwing him out will "wake him up" and make him realize he does have a problem. I do wish you the best.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Contact your local police dept. or sheriff's office. They can advise you on how to proceed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting an adult child in Tennessee [ 23 Answers ]

My son in 20 years old. He came home from college after getting kicked out for a GPA of under 1.0. He asked to come home for "3 weeks". This was May 4, 2006. The only room I had was my garage. I didn't want to make things too comfortable for him. He stays out half of the night drinking and...

Adult children sharing home w/mom but not responsibilities [ 6 Answers ]

But not sharing the housekeeping responsibilities~!~? (to say “taking advantage of” is an understatement) I moved back home about 2 years ago. My older sister (43 to my 42), about 2 years earlier. She occupies two rooms to my one. We both work full-time as does my mother. My hope (when I...

Adult child paternity rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if I have any right to determine who my father is? I am 32 years old, and have been trying tactfully to contact the man who is said to be my father. I want nothing more from him than the truth... is he my father? If he is, all I am looking for is family tree information and...

Evicting Adult Child not paying Rent [ 9 Answers ]

How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?

How long until I get evicted [ 2 Answers ]

For the last 3 years I have lived and paid for the house I'm living in, the house is in my dad's name (he has never paid a dime for anything on the house), this last week we have had a falling out, he demands that I get the house out of his name or move within 30 days. My problem with putting the...

View more questions Search