Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dellis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Multiple components connecting at switch
    I have a carport light (Power Source), a shed with existing light and receptacle controlled by it's own switches, and a new bug light that I'm trying to install all connecting inside a switch box that is to control the new bug light only. So 3 sets of wires in this switch box. The shed should have power at all times and only the new bug light is to be controlled by the switch. How do I wire these 3 sets of wires (black, white, ground)

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Donald
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Jul 16, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dellis
    I have a carport light (Power Source), a shed with existing light and receptacle controlled by it's own switches, and a new bug light that I'm trying to install all connecting inside a switch box that is to control the new bug light only. So 3 sets of wires in this switch box. The shed should have power at all times and only the new bug light is to be controlled by the switch. How do I wire these 3 sets of wires (black, white, ground)

Your help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Donald
    This is assuming of course that white is neutral and black is hot as it should be. Be sure that is the case before you do it. And be sure the breaker is off before you do it, as in turn off the breaker and then check for power before proceeding.

Inside the switch box,
    1. All of your grounds should be connected together.(be sure to ground the switch and the box if it is metal)
    2. All of your white wires should be connected together.
    3. Then you would locate the black wire going to the bug lite and connect it to one side of the switch.
    4. The rest of the black wires should be connected together and also to the other side of the switch.

There are other considerations when adding to a circuit, I don't really have time to go into it right now so I simply answered the question you asked. It should be functional and work as long as you aren't overloading the circuit, but please, if you have ANY doubt about what you are doing then call an electrician. It's worth the money to keep your house from burning down or someone getting hurt or worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to run multiple lights on one switch? [ 20 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to bring power into a light, run to 3 other lights and then down to a switch? What I have done allows me to turn the lights on, but they are very dim so something is not right. Thanks,

Connecting Multiple Speakers [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am attempting to get the best performance out of a pair of outdoor rock speakers. My set up is simple. * 100 watt 8 ohms channel (Pioneer VSX-516). * Wired to a Volume control (Proficent VC60I) (impedance Balancing Volume Control). * To the two Speakercraft 620ROX (60W 8 ohms)...

Connecting to multiple networks [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently a college student who enjoys downloading files. On my side of the room I have 2 LAN network connections, usually one goes to my Xbox 360 and the other to my computer but when I have large files to download I was wondering if I could use both LAN connections in my computer to double...

Connecting RCA Tv picture in picture with components [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up a RCA TV (with picture in a picture feature active) Direct Tv satelitte receiver, vcr, colby dvd player? We have had the RCA Tv for some time but never used the picture in a picture feature cause we did not know how to do this. I know you have to have a vcr in order to do it....

Connecting to multiple networks at the same time with one PC [ 23 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a question about being on multiple networks at the same time. I have two networks at home, first I'll explain the topology of each of them. Directly on my internet connection, behind my modem, there is a switch (which functions as a hub I guess). Behind this hub are 2...

View more questions Search