Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  july 14 2008 012 jpg..jpg
Views: 379
Size:  49.9 KBAny help is appreciated! Thank-you
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:55 AM
    Hello, blackdog63!

Below, is an enhanced and also a negative image made of what you have posted concerning the signature. I did that so that some things that might not be that readily visible could be seen.

I hope that it helps with the possible identification of who the artist was (or, maybe even artist's were), and also of the painting!
    Attached Images

linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Hmmm...

For some reason, I'm not seeing the original images.

Nice work, clough. Does anyone else think the signature might be dutch?
    blackdog63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Hi There,
    I also feel this is a dutch painting from the 1900 century (not 18th doh!), I appreciate the help in trying to determine the original artist so far! I noticed a repair to the center of the canvas (unable to see in picture) and wonder if the second signature could be the name of the restorer? I have never seen two names on one painting, so maybe someone might recognize the second name as a painting conservator. I inherited this painting from a relative who owned it (in it's present state) for 40 years. I am located on the west coast of British Columbia, Canada
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Hi again! Now I'm seeing the images you posted.

They do look like two signatures. I've never heard of a restorer signing the painting itself; I would think that any markings would have been noted on the back of the canvas. I wish I could say more, but my expertise is in studio art.

Have you considered visiting an appraiser? And this might be obvious, but have you tried googling the signatures? The "v" might be short for "von."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Study of foreign languages in the 18th century [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a paper on Gulliver's Travels for university and I would appreciate if you could help me with this question: Did people in the 18th century give any importance to the learning of a foreign language? Was it a normal practice to learn a foreign language? I am particularly interested in...

Trying to find full name of artist of oil painting [ 8 Answers ]

I have an oil painting that is of birds in a sun burst. It is an original and signed only by tigran... I have had the painting since 1988 about. I thought it was acquired at an auction in San Fransico at some time before that... I guess bottom line is that I would like to know the value of...

Who is this artist and is the painting worth anything? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi-I just picked up an oil on canvas from the salvation army thrift store. It is signed but I cannot make out the signature. It is in what I would call a gallery frame and there is a sticker on the frame that reads"Mayfair Gallery and Art Center, 274 Saratoga Rd. Scotia,NY Phone Sch'Dy EX 9-3306"....

Verify and Artist Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very old painting titled "Edes' Mill Upper Potomac" and its signed W.G. Newton. I believe this painting may have been painted bu William Giles Newton which would date this painting to the late 1800's. How can I verify that this was painted by the artist.

View more questions Search