Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    racioppi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Tax treaty exemption and medicare tax
    I am an Italian Visiting Professor entered I USA with a J1 VISA on July 2006. During this time I didn't received any salary fro USA University. I left from USA on October 2006.

I entered again with a new J1 Visa on July 2008. I received regular salary from USA University from this data up to now. On 2007, I claimed for a Tax Treaty to be exempted from Fed and State Taxex. I was exempted from these taxes and also from Medicare tax.

During the first 6 month of 2008 I have been exempted from State and Fed taxes. I paid Medicare.

I ask:
    1. when tax expeption period will be end?
    2. I should pay medicare during first 6 month of 2008?
    3. is tax treaty someway realted to non-resident status?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Read about tax treaty with Italy
    Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Treaties for Professors, Teachers and Researchers

Also go to Form 8843 (at Internal Revenue Service) and read lines 7 and 8. You can get treaty exemption for 2008 only. You have already spent 2006.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 09:28 AM
    You should be exempt from Medicare for 2008 as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT Tax Treaty Exemption [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on OPT starting Aug 07 and before that was an F-1 student from Indonesia. I currently work full time and I've been in the States for less than 5 years. From the website below, is that true that I need to wait for my 1042-S before I can file my taxes and receive treaty exemption of $2000 ? And I...

US/UK tax exemption Treaty 20a J1 visa [ 2 Answers ]

I have for the last several years visited USA as a visiting professor for aprox 1 month per year. Until now, I have been exempts from all US taxes and pay tax in the UK on my American earnings. This year I have been told that because this is the 3rd year I have visited on a J1 visa that I am no...

Tax treaty exemption [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently on a tax treaty exemption Belgium/USA and on a J-1 visa. The time for the tax exemption is 2 years. What I want to know is, if I decide to stay on for another year following the two years, will I have to back-pay tax or will I just have to pay the tax on the third year?

Tax treaty exemption [ 2 Answers ]

I joined university as a reasearcher on H1B June 13, 2006. According to tax treaty, I am exempted from federal and state tax for 3 years (June 13, 2006-June, 2009). So I am a non-resident alien and should file form 1040NR, right? Many thanks.

US/Italy Tax Treaty -- H1B Exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently changed my status from F1 to H1B in January 2007. I have a post-doc position for the academic year 2006-07, started on September 2006 and renewable for two years. I haven't received tax refunds as an F1. My instiutution (Penn) now claims that I am not eligible for tax exemption...

View more questions Search