Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlltheBest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card?
    Hi

I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B.

1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband?

2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B?

Thanks Much!
    Allthebest
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlltheBest
    Hi

I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permenant resident in US while I am on my h1B.

1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband?

You may file adjustment of status BUT it will take about 5-6 years because your husband is not US citizen. So during this waiting period, if you are in US with other type of visa, you must maintain your legal status until the petition is approved.

2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B?

Normally H-1B has 2 yrs term with possibility of extension, so go for it if you want to maintain legal status while waiting.

Thanks Much!!
    Allthebest
    how do i..? : Lawanwadee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Citizen married 01/07 to former H1-B, now Green Card holder. 1040? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi – really straightforward question from a newbie. I am a US citizen (born here). Got married in 01/07 (our first anniversary is Sunday!). My husband was a H1-B holder at the time of our marriage. He had been in the US for 9 years (grad school + 5+ years of an H1-B). Never left the country. ...

Can we apply Green Card in OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am right now in OPT , need to know can we apply green card without going into H1B. It seems to be hard to get H1B this time due to lottery system. Thanks

Green card holder married to a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am doing my mother's taxes. She is a Green Card holder and lives here. My dad does NOT have a green card and lives down in Brazil. However, legally, they are still married. When I try to file in Turbo Tax and check my mother as married, the software askes for my dad's social security....

H1B status after married green card holder [ 1 Answers ]

My H1B visa will expire in 2010. I plan to marry with 2-year-green card holder. Will I get green card too? How long does it take? And if I quit my job after I married, am I still legel to stay in US? Can I go out of US and come back? Give me some advise pleassssssse

To apply Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

Hello to all. Would really appreciate if there is any help. I am on my 2nd year of H-1B and my wife on H-4. Working in Illinois company. I am from Canada. I am going to apply For EB-2 category labor certification from my ave current company. I Have BS in Civil Engineering plus more than 7...

View more questions Search