Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaulaWa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 04:05 AM
    Death of a loved one - no will
    My grandma has just died and did not have a will. Her daughter had the forms that she used to ask my grandma to sign to get money out of her account. She has given the bank the death certificate and we need to know what happens next?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 16, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Sorry to hear that !

Normally a notary will be involved with the procedure. The notary will contact all parties involved, including the tax man and other official organizations.
    The notary also will appoint an executor who will be the contact point for all, and who arranges the practicalities.
    The total procedure can sometimes take several years, but normally is in the order of about 6 months.

:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Well first the Power of Attorney forms ( assume that was what her daughter used while she was alive to do banking) voids at death, so a person with POA during a person life has no specific authority or power to do anything after death.

If there was no will, and depending on how bank accounts and/or property is deeded. Many things could happen. In many cases bank accounts have joint names, then the other person can merely take the money, if the house is jointly owned the other people just get the house.

If not then without a will, they have to go to probate court, get someone named over the estate and pay out the money according to state laws.
    If she had no husband, all of her kids would be have equal interest in all of the estate.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaWa
    My grandma has just died and did not have a will. Her daughter had the forms that she used to ask my grandma to sign to get money out of her account. She has given the bank the death certificate and we need to know what happens next?
    You mentioned a bank account, but the process includes all of your grandma's property. Here is a short link that may help: What is Probate?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2008, 06:41 AM
    [quote=Credendovidis]Normally a notary will be involved with the procedure. /quote]

I don't know about where you are, but the only thing a notary does in my neck of the woods is verify that a signature is valid. They witness the signature and check the ID to certify the signature. I've never heard of a notary doing what you describe.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaWa
    My condolences on your loss.

We need more info here. What assets did your grandma have? Just the bank account? Did she leave any debts? What are these forms you refer to?

The person assigned as executor of the estate needs to total up all the assets and all the debts. Then she has to pay all the debts from those assets and anything left over can be distributed to the heirs.

Generally, such things are done through a probate court, but if the estate is very small, that may be avoided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I ever be loved? [ 6 Answers ]

Will I geta boyfriend anytime soon?

Contacting Loved Ones After Death: Is It Possible and How [ 34 Answers ]

I am usually very perceptive when it comes to dreams and dream interpretation. All of my dreams are in color and very vivid. Many years ago a woman I was very close to died. I dreamed about her, she had been in the hospital very sick with a lot of tubes, etc. One night I dreamed she was sitting in...

Why Would He Tell Her He Loved Her? [ 5 Answers ]

I need an opinion on something. My husband and I have been through hell and continue to go through hell. For many many reasons, I decided to break it off with him and had no communication with him for several weeks. I accidentally picked up the phone before looking at the caller I.D last week and...

I though me loved me [ 4 Answers ]

I was seeing this guy last year, he had just split with his girlfriend and I liked him he liked me. So we started seeing each other and out relatuionship got stronger, then he went to uni:( . It didn't stop us until he felt like he was using me and basically told me were to stick it. I want he...

Did she ever loved me? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I met the most amazing girl 7 years ago she gave everything and all the things for me past 7yrs she showed me what it feels liked to be loved and she knew that I loved her as much as she loved me. But all of sudden and out of nowhere she decide to get married with someone else. Why? She...

View more questions Search