Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Do you believe it?
    I just read and article in Discover Magazine which reported that in the last several years several archaeologist have uncovered evidence that people traveled by boat at sea to other areas such as to Australia as long as 50,000 years ago.
    Do you believe that that could be?
    If not why not?
    Thanks,
    :) Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 08:20 PM
    1. What's this have to do with Christianity..

Regardless, I'm not sure why I wouldn't... depends really on the evidence they found...
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 09:03 PM
    ISneezeFunny,
    Thanks for you input.
    The answer to your question is that some Christians do not believe in anything taking place on this planet more than 6000 to 8000 years ago or so because they believe the universe did not exist farther back than that.
    As a result they are the same group who do not believe in any form of evolution.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Criado Posts: 142, Reputation: 15

Jul 15, 2008, 11:07 PM
    I guess, one of the possible reason why others believe that the Earth is more or less 8,000 years old is that they literally interpret the "days" stated in Genesis 1-2 as human days and for some, 1,000 days each. I don't believe that earth is that young.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Criado,
    Neither to I believe that the earth or the universe is that young.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    ravana2 Posts: 146, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 12:13 AM
    Maybe that can explain mormons theory about jesus in america .
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Criado
    I guess, one of the possible reason why others believe that the Earth is more or less 8,000 years old is that they literally interpret the "days" stated in Genesis 1-2 as human days and for some, 1,000 days each. I don't believe that earth is that young.
    Good example Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The word was did not exist, and would better be understood as became. So you re-read the scripture as.. And the earth became without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Ask yourself when God set things straight after satan and 1/3 of the angels thought they should be on the throne...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:23 AM
    I am an experienced armchair archaeologist and historian. I do not believe that our ancestors of that long ago built boats. Maybe something that floats - to get them across some small body of water, river, etc... but not anything that would take them to any land that they could not see from their starting point.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Second Peter 3:5-6 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished

Second Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Jeremiah 4:23-27 I beheld the earth, and, lo, [it was] without form, and void; and the heavens, and they [had] no light. I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly.I beheld, and, lo, [there was] no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place [was] a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, [and] by his fierce anger For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 03:44 PM
    RickJ,
    You should read that article, it might change you mind.
    Archaeologists have discovered various ancient reed and bamboo type boats or rafts that would hold several people who sailed from island to island many thousands of years ago.
    You can read the article at this site:
    http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun...-world-by-boat
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 04:16 PM
    We don't have good proof of things that happened 1000 year ago, and certainly 3000, sounds like my big time guess work.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Fr_Chuck,
    Hi, Bishop.
    Your right that we don't have absolute proof of many things that happened a few thousand years ago, but...
    It is interesting the things and artifacts that scientists have discovered that seem to have been made a long time ago.
    How they come up with the times they do is interesting and though provoking if not questionable.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 06:06 PM
    I think things make us go HMMMM and heck who knows, we know the Indian people of South American had a religious story of a white god who would come from the east. Which makes us at least assume there had to have been a white person visit there before at some point, and was advanced enough or did something to make them believe they were a god.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Fr_Chuck,
    Good point. Other peoples had somewhat similar stories.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura
    RickJ,
    You should read that article, it might change you mind.
    Archaeologists have discovered various ancient reed and bamboo type boats or rafts that would hold several people who sailed from island to island many thousands of years ago.
    You can read the article at this site:
    Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat? | Archaeology | DISCOVER Magazine
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Thanks for the link. Will check it out... and see what my buddies over at BAS have to say about it :)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 12:54 PM
    HI Fred,

Isn't that how the aboriginal people got to Australia millennia ago? :) They have been in Australia for 40,000 years or so, right?

Also, the colonizers of Easter Island off the coast of South America are thought to have arrived there from somewhere in Asia.

Have a great weekend,
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Choux,
    Yes, that is what has been said about those peoples.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Jul 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura
    I just read and article in Discover Magazine which reported that in the last several years several archaeologist have uncovered evidence that people traveled by boat at sea to other areas such as to Australia as long as 50,000 years ago.
    Do you believe that that could be?
    If not why not?
    Thanks,
    :) Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)

No. I think the carbon dating system is faulty at determining archaeological age of things.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 07:48 AM
    I think there are lots of unexplained things on this earth that we don't know... so maybe!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
    0rphan,
    I agree that the carbon dating system can be faulty.
    That was proven when used in attempting to date the Shroud of Turin.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search