Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoke_r1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Pregnant and cat behavior change?
    About 4mos. Ago I found out I was expecting. My male cat has be showing some strange behaviors since then and quite frankly I'm worried. He's lost a lot of weight by not eating his food of 3 yrs or treats, not displaying any affection(use to be aweful affectionate), sleeping under bed, not coming when called, and unresponsive to anything. Could this be because he was only baby in my life for 9yr and is mad at me or could there be some other underlining problem and should I take him to the vets for further investigation into his health
    ghostboy22 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 11:49 PM
    That may be a sight of bad. Thing behave unnormal when a bad thing is about to happen
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 01:47 AM
    Take him to the vet. If he is having changes in his normal behavior like a personality change and not eating, a physical problem is likely.
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Jul 19, 2008, 02:17 AM
    Hi smoke_r1,

Firstly, yes, you should definitely consult a Vet. About this recent behavior change.

One thing you should (or may) know is that cats (and dogs) are very intuitive creatures. They sense changes in our bodies, moods, etc. even better than our fellow humans. Kitty is noticing a change in you and is likely stressed or jealous of/about this change. Whenever possible, he needs lots of love and affection right now to assure him that everything is going to be OK. There is also another recommendation I have for you. Feliway is a product that you can buy which is nothing more than the same facial pheromones that cats emit when they rub up against furniture or even you. It is extremely soothing to them to smell their scent. For this reason, I highly recommend buying either the Feliway Comfort Zone plug-in and/or spray. You put these in the room kitty spends most of his time in. It is usually recommended to use in more than 1 room and can take up to 2 months to really notice a difference, although it can be almost immediate. (especially with the spray) Your baby needs some comfort right now and those products will help, along with your attention and love.

Definitely get him to a doctor though, just to be on the safe side. I hope this helps. Best wishes for your baby to be and your precious fur baby. I'm sure it will all work out!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I would get to a vet and make sure that it isn't just coincidence that this is happening now.

If it is behavioral, then I have to disagree with the other posters about showing the cat more affection. You want to start tapering off how much time you spend with the cat, because you will be spending even less once you have a new-born baby to take care of. And going from 100% too much lower at that point is going to make the cat jealous of the baby. If you taper down to a lower level now, then the cat doesn't associate it with the baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat behavior change [ 4 Answers ]

My male cat has been acting strangely the last couple of days. He usually does not like to sit with people, and dislikes being bothered, but lately this has changed. He has been sleeping in weird places, like under desks, and comes and curls up next to people. Also if you pick him up and set him...

Change in her behavior and weight! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cat, she was an astray I've had her since last oct at the beginning she was slim, but put on weight after a couple of months, two weeks ago when the weather changed I noticed she slept the entire day which I found strange, after a couple of days I noticed her stomach seemed sucked in when...

My cat behavior has change [ 2 Answers ]

My cat has been hissing at my husband mostly lately. She has not been the friendliest of cats. We have only been married for a short while. She seemed to be OK with him and now she has gone backwards. She is almost 12 years old... any thoughts?

Dog behavior change drastically [ 8 Answers ]

I went on vacation and left my dog with my daughter and cousin. My dog is a beagle bassett and ever since I got home she barks whenever I put her to bed. The bark is different and she shakes really bad and runs from me barking unlike anything I have seen. She also crouches down and looks up at the...

Cat Behavior Change [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an 11 year old cat who has , over the past few weeks, become more withdrawn and just acting.. different. He doesn't come when he's called, he kind of hides from everyone and the other cats (one his brother and one his best friend). He just has lost the spring in his step and even his...

View more questions Search