Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farid_47 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Studying IT in university and using linux
    I love IT and I'm going to study IT in university in coming months.But problem is here that in Most of our universities Windows OS is used and I use Linux OS and I'm worry that it make problem for me from developing language and other software.Is there anyone to help me and explain differents for me?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Learn Windows. Knowing Linux is good and that will help your marketability but your education needs to be well rounded. Look at the statistics. The highest percentage of people with computers use Windows, not Linux. Knowing Linux helps you with the Unix/Apple markets but most of the programing dollars are spent in Windows based operating systems. Remember that programing for productivity is just part of the market. Gaming programing is also part of the job market and most of the computer games are for Windows platforms. Follow the money if you want to earn a living.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
    We have a core of developers that develop in C#, C++ and some scripting. Most of the kernels that are developed can be compiled on either the Windows or UNIX platforms.

Most of our source is open source, meaning that we can reuse objects that are written by others and we then define classes than can be used by other groups too.

Windows is very marketable when it comes to the applications that are available for both business and home use. However, if you ask me, the UNIX platforms and available Unix OS's and languages are very robust and are very easy to transport binary code from one to the other.

The UNIX platforms have been very stable for a long time. Windows is just now getting to that point. I'm not familiar with Windows Vista but I'm hoping it's a better generation in stability than XP or NT ever was.

Just my input.
    farid_47 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Thanks a lot friends for your answers but my problem is just for university and not for job.My worrying is here that if for example I write a program With Linux C++ can it be run in The universities computer that uses Windows? I know the code of both is same but my friend says the libraries are different and I Want to know it has a solution or not? And this is the only different between them?
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 16, 2008, 03:37 PM
    You have to take the code and compile it on that platform. THe libs can be different so you might want to ensure you have the same library versions for your classes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is atlantic International University recogned university [ 9 Answers ]

I' m Tanzanian living in Tanzania I want joining Atlantic International University for B.A education, can their degree acceptable any where?

Is Washington International University another mill university? [ 9 Answers ]

Please help me to answer about the status of WIT university...

Kennedy-Western University NOW Warren National University [ 54 Answers ]

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and talked about. I am enrolled with Kennedy-Western, and now have a bad feeling about them. I cannot find where they are an "Accredited" postsecondary school, only licensed in the state of Wyoming. Does anyone know and can prove to me that they...

St Clements University - another unaccredited university? [ 4 Answers ]

Would anyone tell me about the accreditation of St Clements University,please?

View more questions Search