Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berkie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Health Insurance Discrimination
    Does anybody know if it is unlawful for an employer to offer two group health insurance plans. One is a self insured plan. And the other is fully insured. However, what they do is: they only offer the fully insured plan to employees that they know will have a large amount of impending medical claims, for example a pregnancy. So, they conduct interviews with the employees, identify the ones that they expect will have a high value claim or claims, and encourage them to enroll in the fully insured plan (they, in effect offer them the fully insured plan) For everybody else... they only offer the self-insured plan, thereby putting all of the high risk members of the population in the fully insured plan, and the lower risk folks in the self-insured plan, thereby keeping the cost down
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Yes I believe that is illegal and violates the rules of qualified benefits, they may offer several coverages but can not force an employee into one or the other.
    Sounds like a report to the department of labor
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
    I don't even believe the interviews are legal. Isn't that a violation of privacy or even Hippa?
    Any of us can be healthy as a horse today and into a hospital and Doctors for $ 100,000 tomorrow.
    If this arrangement isn't totally out of line, it sure should be.
    Like Fr_Chuck says, they can offer a menu type selection but the employee makes the decision based on the benefits of each plan and the premium.
    They may have good intentions but its definitely discriminatory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No health insurance [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend just recently had an accident where his hand went through a glass pane. He ended up tearing three tendons. This required one night of hospital stay and surgery. He then has to go to rehab for it. Unfortunately, he was just cut off his parent's insurance, and so he does not...

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My doctor's office will not release a claim to me with all the necessary information such as the diagnosis code and service code (cpt) because of HIPAA ? I have a self insured plan, the doctor is non-par and will not bill it, and I am trying to get myself paid. How can I get this information ? And...

No Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is 25 and has cancer. She doesn't have any health insurance. Are there programs that can help get her medical attention.

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have never bought private medical cover, critical illness insurance, Loss of earnings insurance, etc. I know that there is various advice and Web sites to help you lower your car insurance, but what, If any, facilities exist to help you shop around for these other types of insurance?...

View more questions Search