Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumeria Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Rules of Homeowner Insurance verses Rental Property
    I have a question regarding a multi dwelling property.

I bought a house as a homeowner, that has two apartments in the house, besides the main house.

I have rented out the apartments, but I have a room in the main house, and a roommate.
    As well, I have all the utilities, heating, cable, electric, garbage, in my name.

I haven't rented out the main house out totally, and I can be there anytime.

Is there a legal amount of time, I must stay at the property to be legally considered owner occupied. I travel for work as well, so a lot of my work takes me elsewhere.

Do I have to change it to a full rental property?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
    You will need at the time the first renter is living there to notify your insurance copany since it changes the status to multi family or rooming house. And adds liability issues. With renters in the building, if the insurance is not notified, they can deny claims if caused by them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

Who is responaible for the insurance and poperty tax on a rental? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lease contract with a lawyer (contract is not yet signed). Anyway the house belongs to my children their father has passed away and I'm in charge of the estate. It's been 2 years since their father passed. My fiancé and I are trying to take care of everything. We were going to buy the...

Deceased Homeowner, NO will, NO relatives, Abandoned property [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I live two doors down from a home built in the exact proportion and size as our current home. The owner passed away over a year ago, and since then the property has gone from bad (even in life the owner did not maintain his property) to worse. After looking at the house and its...

Rental car insurance [ 6 Answers ]

I plan to rent a car in Florida(Naples). I have auto insurance for my cars in my state. Do I need any special Insurance in Florida ?

Roof Leak/Homeowner Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I am a first time home buyer. A single mom working for Wells Fargo. I purchased my home about 6 months ago. My bedroom ceiling collapsed. The roof of my house leaks. I paid to have this house inspected before I could purchase it. I paid for homeowners insurance. My payments are current. ...

View more questions Search