Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Windows XP SP3 and Linksys Wireless adapter
    It was reported to me that an conflict exists between WindowsXP SP3 and Linksys wireless card adapter (WPC54G version 4). I updated one of my Windows XP laptops to SP3 yesterday. I uninstalled the Linksys Wireless card drivers PRIOR to installing SP3.

SP3 installed fine, then I went to install the Linksys wireless adapter and supporting drivers.

Low and behold, the wireless connection does see the router (router broadcast turned on) but the router does not issue a DCHP address to the laptop via the wireless card.

It does not matter which encryption scheme I use, it still doesn't work.

I tried perusing through the downloads on various sites (including Linksys) but there's only one upgrade for this card which is the one I tried.

I uninstalled SP3 and now it's working again.

Anyone out there having luck with this combination?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
    This Linksys Forum Thread has a discussion regarding the problem and maybe a solution or two.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
    All or our wireless adapters are Intel or Broadcom so I have not experienced this issue but usually where there are DHCP issues with the wireless, it is caused by encryption. Did you try your connection without wireless security first?

Are you managing your wireless via the vendor utility or via the Windows Wireless utility? I don't think that would make any difference but you be able to bypass the files that are trouble if you use the Windows Wireless utility... just another shot in the dark.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Chuckhole,

I tried to connect without encryption after I reset the router, but even that did not allow me to connect. I did try to use both the vendor supplied utility and the Windows wireless utility (which is what I am using now without SP3).

There might be some drivers that Linksys needs to put out for SP3 capatibility. I'm surprised Cisco has not caught up on this issue.

I'm going to the MS support site and see what was updated for networking with SP3.

Thanks.
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Sep 26, 2008, 09:19 PM
    I fixed mine by disabling the built in ethernet and wireless adapters on my Thinkpad.
    marked Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Oct 2, 2008, 11:43 PM

Since the only problem here is not getting any valid IP etc on the wireless computer using SP3 , just put a static IP and dns to that computer and everything should be working...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My comp cannot connect to my linksys wireless router [ 6 Answers ]

I have just set up a home network using a linksys wireless router (model # wrt54g). I ran the setup software with no problem and connected 2 other computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop w/wireless adapter both of which connect great. MY laptop, however, that was used to set the network up, would drop...

Trying to install linksys notebook adapter and connect wirelessly [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop on which I recently downloaded the drivers for and installed a Linksys Notebook Adapter and I cannot seem to connect to my wireless network at home. I have a wireless netgear router, the router is 802.11g and so is the notebook adapter. The laptop has...

Linksys wireless network usb device not recognized [ 1 Answers ]

Linksys wireless network usb device not recognized

Wireless Router & Adapter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sony VAIO laptop with an Intel PRO wireless 2200BG connector networked using a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router with Speed Booster. My Windows XP software tells me my connection speed is 54 Mbps but I don't enjoy that speed. Linksys says I won't get maximum speed and range if I don't...

Wireless Adapter Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a LinkSys Wireless-B 2.4 Ghz 802.11B Notebook adapter on my laptop. If I ever want to switch the adapter or replace it, can I use another brand? I have a LinkSys 11mbs 802.11b Wireless router in my network. Will this work okay with my network as long as the specs of each adapter are the...

View more questions Search