Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Puzzling fortune from a fortune cookie.
    So I went to Thai food the other day and afterward received my fortune cookie. Too full to eat it at the time, I brought it back to work with me. I opened it today and the fortune read, “Where there is doubt, there is truth.”

I'm not sure I follow what this fortune cookie is trying to say… not just in my life but in general.

My initial thought was if you ever have any doubts, there is some sort of truth to it? A “trust your instincts” kind of thing? But doubt is such a bad concept in general... and it often stems from ones own fears... not truth at all.

What do you think?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
    I would say it means pretty much what you said.
    Like the if you do not know joy you can not know sorrow

Or an instinct thing too
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Maybe-if you have debated an issue (maybe just in your mind), you have looked at the issue from different standpoints or in other words you have weighed the pluses and minuses and made the best decision you possible can, there are bound to be some doubts but they were outweighed by the factors that mattered most in your opinion. But you may wonder later on if you should have given more consideration to what you considered a minor factor when you made your decision.
    On second thought, I like what you said better!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:09 AM
    It means if there is room for doubt, then it maybe true... not proven one way or another... use your own judgement
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:11 AM
    I think it means that you actually fell for the trap that is, the fortune cookie company.
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Maybe it means your too optimistic. Though its not usually a bad thing. Say your in a relationship and your doubting how much you love each other, maybe you should break up and afterward you realize you were right you didn't love each other very much. I know that's sortof confusing but if you understand it let me know :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Fortune Teller [ 7 Answers ]

After escaping from her overly controlling campaign manager for the evening, Hillary Clinton sneaked off to visit a local fortune teller of some fame and repute. In a dark and hazy room, peering into a crystal ball, the wizened old mystic delivered some very grave news. 'There's no easy way to...

Your Favorite Fortune Cookie Sayings! [ 68 Answers ]

You know what I mean. :) Those little pieces of paper that come out of the funny shaped cookies that we get at Chinese restaurants at the end of a meal, that we know are not true, and yet, in a lot of cases, we wish that they were! After eating the cookie, they can be found in wallets,...

Fortune telling [ 2 Answers ]

I'm totally intrigued by this page. Can anyone claim to foresee other peoples futures from their posts? If so I would love to hear what anyone can tell me about myself. I'm willing to answer any questions

Can I make my own fortune [ 2 Answers ]

I have always wondered,with karma going around, that can we make and predict our own fortunes. . I'm from south africa and most people here do that through their ancestors and the elders of the family. . But is it really possible to control your own destiny in your own hands given you make the...

View more questions Search