Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Risha01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
    New light switch cover, now wires too short
    I'm renovating an old property and am updating the covers on the light switches.

When removing the cover of an old switch (having turned off the mains etc) a 4 mm piece of wire broke off the red wire. There's no slack in the wire at all and now neither the old switch cover nor the new one will fit into the housing. The cover sits about 4mm above the housing and of course the screws won't line up to secure the cover to the wall.

Any suggestions?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Yep, pigtail a piece of starnded wire with a wirenut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement condenser fan motor wires are too short - now what? [ 2 Answers ]

The wires are about 10 inches too short. In normal wiring one would make a junction box and wire up extensions, but there is no place for a junction box inside the unit, of course. The original fan motor also used a flexible metal conduit, although the new fan wires appear to be overinsulated for...

Short Between Ground and Live Wires [ 3 Answers ]

During the building inspection of my home that I purchased one outlet tested hot reverse, the building inspector said I simply needed to switch the wiring. i.e. Black to Brass and White to Silver. He also advised me to put in a GCFI outlet since it was in a bathroom. I proceeded to do this...

Thermostat wires too short [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing a White-Rodgers thermostat in my apartment. When installing my Honeywell RTH7000 I found the wires are all too short by about 1/4 inch. Pulling on the wires does not help. Suggestions?

Installing 3 way motion dector light switch with 4 wires [ 4 Answers ]

How do I install the light swith motion when I have 4 wire wires on house wiring has black,red,white,ground wires on a 3 way light switch and my new motion dector light switch back looks like this on top wire on left side is red and yellow, right side green ground, bottom left side black, right...

Hot light switch cover [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I was wandering if you could answer a question? Our light switch cover downstairs gets really hot. In fact the wall above the cover is warm too. I took the cover off and the wires smelt like warm plastic. We reacently purchased this home. It is 35 yrs old and in great condition other than...

View more questions Search