Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Jul 15, 2008, 12:10 PM
    What are these inequality numbers
    Can someone please help me figure out this Algebra stuff. I am not very good with it and I am taking a college Algebra class that I must make an A in to get into the nursing program. I'm confused on inequalities right now.

We were given the question
    Under what conditions must the inequality symbol be reversed when solving an inequality?

The only thing the book says is If the real number a is to the left of the real number b on a number then

A is less than b and written a<b

If a is to the right of b, then

A is greater than b written a>b

I'm just so confused, please help me
    shw3nn Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2008, 12:33 PM
    If you divide or multiply both sides by a negative number, the sign must be reversed.

2 > 1 --- correct, right? Multiply both sides by negative. You get -2 > -1. That's not true. You must also reverse the sign. -2 < -1.

This is a great trick to use when you are trying to understand how something in algebra works. Use small, easy to understand numbers, no x or y, and see how it behaves when you do things to it like multiply by a negative or subtract the same number from both sides.

You can see exactly what is happening and then apply your understanding of this behavior to an equation like x<1.

Jul 15, 2008, 12:49 PM
    OK that makes since. Thanks so much this Algebra thing is not my subject, however I have been trying to practice with different websites and I think that's getting me even more confused.
    shw3nn Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
    No problem.

Am I correct in deducing that you are not yet in the Algebra class?

If so, I can not recommend enough that, when you do take it, you get a class where the professor is from the Computer Science department. If you can manage that, you'll have a much easier time of it.

See, computers can not *think* as such. When you program a computer, you can't leave anything to intuition or expect it to make any mental leaps. I got a degree in math and it never failed that, if a CS person was teaching a certain math class, they explained every step in the thought process explicitly. Those were always the easiest As I ever got.

Good luck!

Jul 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
    I am actually taking my algebra class online this semister and using mathxl for all my homework and test. Nothing about algebra makes since to me so I'm trying to read anything and everything.
    Now, on the other hand I could write a book with ease. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gender Inequality [ 20 Answers ]

I am from India. I am aware that India is currently facing many internal problems and I would like to make people aware of this and persuade them to unite to fight this problem. The problems are 1) Increasing Feminism leading to collapse of social infrastructure. 2) Biased legal system where Laws...

Wage inequality [ 1 Answers ]

How is wage inequality measured in the automotive industry? What is their method of determining that there is an inequality?

Solve the inequality [ 2 Answers ]

(5x+2)^2(x-1)/x(x^2-1) is greater than or equal to 0

Writing an Inequality [ 1 Answers ]

I had a problem on my homework that said"a certain book has ,n, pages. Richard read the entire book in 12 days. The most he read on any one day was 23 pages." What would I write that is an inequality that represents this situation?:confused: :confused:

How do you solve this inequality [ 1 Answers ]

10a+5>2a-29

View more questions Search