Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pr1mavara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one
    I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted from my salary when I don't live nor work there.

Thank you!
    pdaher Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Check with the Secretary of State in NYC. I think you have to change to a NY license. I had a friend who moved from MI to AZ and he had to change his license to AZ.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Your residency is based on where you live, not where your driver's license is from. So once you move to NYC you start paying NY State and NY City income tax, not MI. It would be helpful if you got your NY State driver's livcense, in terms of proving to the authorities in MI that you do not owe them income tax once you moved out of state, but it's not mandatory. You should keep documents that will prove your residency, such as your apartment lease agreement and copies of utility bills, just in case. Also, the state of NY says you will need to register your car and get a NY driver's license within a few weeks of moving in.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaher
    Check with the Secretary of State in NYC. I think you have to change to a NY license. I had a friend who moved from MI to AZ and he had to change his license to AZ.

The NYS Secretary of State is in the State capital, Albany, not in NYC, but that office has nothing to do with this - the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles requires that you surrender your out of State License and obtain a NYS Drivers License within 30 days.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 12:10 AM
    About taxes while working in two states, read
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    Hanley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Hi to all. I think that pdaher is right... I know a cousin of mine who had to go with the same thing and you will probably have to obtain a new license within the stipulated time.:)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanley
    Hi to all. I think that pdaher is right ......... I know a cousin of mine who had to go with the same thing and you will probably have to obtain a new license within the stipulated time.:)

Yes, as I posted - within 30 days. From the NYS DMV in Albany.
    biritin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2011, 07:20 PM
    Can i use double driving license different states. For example one is for ny. The other is nc
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 30, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biritin View Post
    CAN I USE DOUBLE DRIVING LICENSE DIFFERENT STATES. FOR EXAMPLE ONE IS FOR NY. THE OTHER IS NC
    No - you may have one driver's license issued by one state. There are exceptions for commercial licenses, but for regular personal drivers license you may have one only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I pay taxes when I work in a different state that I live in? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I currently live in Ct but work in NY. I know I have to pay ct state income taxes but do I have to pay NY state income tax? My husband lives with me in CT and works in CT. Should we file separately or jointly for state income taxes if I have to pay NY income taxes? Also would his CT...

Form to use for file state '04 &'05.Live in NJ and work in NY [ 2 Answers ]

Need to file state taxes for 2004 & 2005... resident of NJ but worked in NY. Which form (s) should I use to do my own filing and save some bucks? Or if I want to save myself, pain & suffering, what's the average cost to use a tax professional? I'm single female, no kids.

Work in one state, get taxed by the state I live in [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan, but I work in Indiana. My company taxes me Michigan tax. While filing my state return do I have to also file an Indiana state tax?

Live in NV, work out of state [ 3 Answers ]

I recently moved to Nevada which have no state taxes, however, I am a consultant and work out of state M - Th. How will I be taxed?

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

View more questions Search