Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elpiloto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Can I shut off my water heater while on vacation?
    I am going on two weeks vacation. I heard you should not turn off water heaters to save energy while gone as it may damage the water heater.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 08:13 AM
    There should be a spot on the temperature gauge that says
    Hot/warm/vacation
    I would just set it in the vacation range
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Turn gas to Pilot. Turn off breaker for electric.

Turning off the water is permissible too. Turn off water. Bleed off pressure. Assure temperature won't go below freezing.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Hi all:

While going on vacation I advise all my customers to shut off the WATER MAIN SUPPLY to house (shut off at water meter). This controls cold and HOT water and assures no major surprises when come home from vacation... ;)

In terms of the water heater... like KISS said, if electric just need to shut off the breaker (or pull the fuses) at the electric panel.

If gas, you should just need to turn the gas valve dial to vacation setting or to the lowest setting on the dial of the gas valve... (as presented by NOHELP4U)

Be sure to note exactly where the dial is set prior to touching it. May even be a good idea to take a permanent marker and mark the starting position so when return from vacation you don't worry about remembering small issue like this... ;) And you don't have to worry about someone getting burned because you set the dial improperly... ;)

Check out the picture below... it is a gas valve.. the dial is on front. Your gas heater gas valve should look similar. If you SQUINT your eyes you can see vacation setting on the dial face... this simply rotates left to reduce to vacation setting

Let us know if have more questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Your heater has "Vacation" temperature setting. Set it to Vacation. Pilot will stay on but the heater will never turn on when temperature of water inside your tank drops.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 04:34 PM
    No Vacation setting I'm used to, just ON/OFF and Pilot. This is a two year old AO Smith.

This Vacation thing is new to me.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
    KeepItSimpleStupid: Look at the posted photo of the temperature adjusting knob in post #4. Down on the right is "Vacation" setting. It is there exactly for that reason: for Vacations. Most heaters have this setting.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Milo and massplumber:

I understand that the tstat pictured has a vacation mode, BUT this model, for example, http://www.hotwater.com/lit/im/res_gas/186589-000.pdf which is a current model from AOSMITH has on/off/pilot and NO VACATION MODE.

Yep, but each manufacturer does things differently and I thank you guys for pointing out an alternative.

I did, however, have the magnificent grasp of the obvious "Vacation mode" on the stat pictured in post #4.

I'll bet if the OP saw the markings "Vacation" they wouldn't even be asking this question. But then again my crystal ball needs batteries so I'm unable to determine if the OP has a gas or electric heater.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 07:13 PM
    I THINK the pilot mode functions the same as the vacation mode by keeping the pilot lite but not turning on to heat.
    Don't quote me on that cause I don't want to be the cause of anybody's house blowing up!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 03:45 AM
    Hi all...

Doesn't matter what the gas valve says on the face of the dial... why I said, "If gas, you should just need to turn the gas valve dial to vacation setting or to the lowest setting on the dial of the gas valve"

Some say vacation, some say pilot lighting, some say pilot, some say low, and others say nothing at all... just an arrow.

The gas valve itself also has an on/off/pilot button that gets depressed before lighting the thermocouple to the water heater. ELPILOTO needs to know that this button doesn't have to be touched and if touched may require him/her to have to relight the pilot... that could be a bit troublesome if thermocouple is getting old.

Anyway, fact is that it is smart to lower the temperature setting to water heaters when going on vacation and ELPILOTO was misinformed when he/she was told that shutting/reducing temperature setting is bad for the water heater.

I also hope Epiloto will heed my advice on shutting water main before going on vacation. I also hope you guys will consider this practice, too as I have seen quite a few homes destroyed from a broken water pipe while owners were away on vacation!

Have a good day!

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Hold it guys!! The OP asked a simple question,
    Can I shut off my water heater while on vacation?
    This could have been answered with a "yes" and a short explanation.
    Nohelp4U answered correctly for a gas heater, Massplumber and KISS fleshed it out. But what we have is seven more posts that are repeat answers and experts hassling each other about the control markings. When we get into a disagreement, ( and since we work under different code there's a lot of it) it confuses the asker and makes us all look like plumbing idiots. I'm no exception to this. But tell you whot! I'll try harder if you will. You all are good men and have a lot to offer.
    Together you can answer any question, or solve any plumbing problem thet comes down the pike. I, for one, value every one of you. I just want us to put out best face forward. Sermon complete! Regards to all. Tom
    thinkingouside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 12:05 PM
    We got the worst advice, Our water heater has a culligan water conditioner attached & we turned it off only to return to problem of heater leaking at the bottom.
    Is it ruined?
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 01:21 PM
    It faied when you were away. Good thing you turned it off. Do check the over temp, over pressure safety valve.
    You should crack a hot water faucet when you turn the HWH off or drain a gallon out of the heater, but if everything is working right, it isn't necessary.

You can get very good lifetimes out of a HWH, just ask Tom. You do have to remove the junk at the bottom of the tank periodiclly. The frequency depends on your water quality. Monthly to yearly.

What you do for "insurance" depends on possible damage. Solutions are from turning it off when away to a water sensor, Water Cop, a drain pan and a pump.

The water cop can be expanded to include washers, toilets, dishwashers,etc. Does it make sense to turn off your washer supply lines on vac - absolutely.

A cotttage can require more effort to winterize.

I personally had a hot water pipe break underground when away. Heater was on pilot. Could have been worse. No water damage.

(Tom: check your mail)
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2012, 03:07 PM
    We got the worst advice, Our water heater has a culligan water conditioner attached & we turned it off only to return to problem of heater leaking at the bottom.
    You got bad advice when advised tom shut the heater down and turn off the water when you went on vacation? Too bad you didn't follow it. If you had your water heater wouldn't have sprung a leak.
    Is it ruined?
    Depends on where it's leaking from. If a weld in the boiler opened up then replace the heater. If it's a leak from an top water connection and simply flowed down and out the bottom then it's repairable. So where's the leak coming from? Back to you. Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Hey KISS! Welcome back and where the hell have you been for so long. The Plumbing Page missed you. I don't see any mail either in my E-Mail or my PM. Try again. Glad ta see you! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation mode for water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gas, select state water heater with a manual pilot. We will be away on vacation for 3 months and I am wondering the best way to leave the water heater. I plan on turning off the water throughout the house, but will keep the house between 55-60 degrees. Should I completely turn off the...

Hot Water heater setting for vacation [ 23 Answers ]

I'd like to thank Tom for his answer to my first question, and ask one more. If I turn my hot (gas) water heater to "pilot" will it be on the lowest setting or do I have to turn the temp. knob down as well... also will it be OK if I have turned the water off at the Main?

Shut water main to house, what happens to hot water heater [ 7 Answers ]

I've seen similar questions but didn't see the exact answer I was looking for. I want to know what happens if I shut off the water to the house and Go on vacation and leave the hot water heater on and then a leak in A hot water faucet develops. Would the heater tank drain, overheat, and Cause...

Shut off valve & water heater [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. Excuse my ignorance in this matter in advance. I need to connect a dishwasher to the hot water pipe that goes to my kitchen faucet. I went to Home Depot and got a "connection" for dishwasher. All was OK until I tried to turn off the shut off valve. After doing that, hot water was still...

Hot water heater - vacation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to shut off my water supply while I am on vacation. I plan to put the gas control valve on "pilot" while I am gone, and let the pilot continue to burn. Is this OK? Should I open a hot water faucet in the house to relieve any possible pressure buildup due to thermal expansion? The heater...

View more questions Search