Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JasminOlivia78 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Ok, So Am I being totally Selfish?
    Well,

Ive posted before because I thought my great boyfriend was losing interest in me because he hasn't been calling much.

Well, come to find out he has been under a lot of stress. He got his car repo'd and they are garnishing his wages for a previous unpaid debt. Anyway, I understand that. But we made plans to hang out Saturday afternoon and go out to lunch. On Friday we arranged a time and place to meet. Well Friday night he went out with one of his buddies from church and Saturday he was supposed to meet me at 1pm at his place. He was a TOTAL NO SHOW! I called and called and he never answered. :mad:

Sunday rolls around and I finally get in touch with him Sunday NIGHT and he says he totally forgot about our plans Saturday because he was so busy shopping for a new car. He said he has been under so much stress lately.

NOW, I didn't get mad at him for standing me up, but how understanding am I supposed to be? I asked him Sunday night, if he wanted to break up and just concentrate on getting himself together, he said NO, I LOVE YOU, I WANT TO BE WITH YOU... well, guys I am at a loss! :confused: I want to talk to him about it now, but I know he is stressed about his finances. I am frustrated that he doesn't call me, I am frustrated that he has time for his friends but can't seem to make time for me, I am overall frustrated. An I being selfish? Am I being a bad girlfriend because Im ready to bail on my great boyfriend? :rolleyes:

Ive decided to stop calling him and not make any plans with him for awhile, is that breaking up without actually saying it?? :confused: He started being wonderful and now when we FINALLY do talk he is super loving and nice and says he will always love me...

I just don't get it. HELP! :p
    THANKS!
    J
    malice92 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Well J not an expert here, but have you tried telling him that your there for him that his issues are not unresolveable and that you'd like to help?

Maybe he feels unworthy to deserve such a great girl as yourself at the moment due to his failing fiancial issues?

-G
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 07:39 AM
    He may be under a lot of stress and not wanting to ask for help. Us guys feel as though we have to be the "rock" and have a hard time asking for help even when we need it the most. Maybe offer to help him out with some of the issues you can
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 07:49 AM
    If that's the way he handles stress, you better look out. Yes, back off, and take another look at what you are into, as life is full of stress, and a phone call goes a long way. That's just being considerate, don't you think?

Its a red flag to me, that stress can undermine caring.

Jul 15, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Thanks for the answers..

And yes, Ive offered to help out a million times and he won't allow me too. I feel like it's a huge red flag. BUT it just confuses me totally that Ive gave him the option to leave and he keeps wanting to stay in this relationship.
    Ive offered to help, and I am trying to be supportive because I understand he is a man and wants to be the rock in the relationship, but what am I supposed to do. I hate to sound selfish, because I know its not about me.

Your 100% right, A phone call goes a loooooooong way! And I never want to put him as a priority in my life and its obvious Ive been put on the back burner in his..

Im going to back off, give it some space, And see what happens. Any other suggestions please feel free to respond and let me know your thoughts on the matter.
    Thanks,
    J
    starlite1 Posts: 753, Reputation: 58

Jul 15, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Hi Jasmin,

I think you are doing the right thing here. You have offered your help, and have been really supportive. I'm sure your boyfriend does see and appreciate that, but for you and your well being, you need to step back from the relationship for now. Just give him space (even though he says that is not what he wants). You can let him know that you are there for him, but right now you need to be there for yourself. Hopefully in time he will come around.

Aug 12, 2008, 07:13 AM
    My "boyfriend" isn't so great after all.
    So, Ive posted here before because I thought my great boyfriend was losing interest in me.

Well, I guess I was right. Last Friday we hung out and he called me Friday night to tell me goodnight, and its been over a week and he hasn't called me at all since then. Not even once.

:confused: I Don't GET IT!! :confused:

We always seemed to have a great relationship. And now its over and I have no clue what to do. Ive FINALLY STOPPED CALLING,

I thought he was such a great guy, but if he was why would he do this to me and offer me no explanation?

How do I get over him? Ive never had a boyfriend break up with me before without offering me some sort of explanation. We have mutual friends he speaks to them, but just avoids my calls and text.

This is eating me up. Any advice would be helpful? How do I get closure? I want to tell him how I feel.
    -J
    HeadsHigh Posts: 75, Reputation: 10

Aug 12, 2008, 09:06 AM
    You can't rely on him to give you closure. You'll gain this when you eventually realize that maybe the relationship wasn't worth clinging onto in the first place. Be patient with yourself and keep your pride intact by sticking to no contact.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Sorry for your loss, but you will move on after the shock has worn off, and you accept that the two of you didn't click. Most relationships don't, to be honest, and we learn to cope with our loss, and live our life. Heal and be ready, for the next chapter of your life.
    basii Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2009, 10:26 AM

Just from a girl I will tell you just go out , have fun , go on a holiday ingnore him and don't call him , and live your life , and don't make hi the center of everything , he's just a guy and trust me there are soooooooooooooo many guys out there that are dying for you .
    Have self confidence , just keep your head held up high .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm just being selfish, right? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure all of you have better things to do than read my complaining~ :o Lately I've been feeling very... stressed out? I don't know. But sometimes I just think that being dead is just so much easier than having to go through and deal with what happens in life. I'm too scared of the actual...

Is she selfish? [ 30 Answers ]

Hi Im not sure what to think about this so some advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be quite long so please bare with me. :) Basically I've been with my girlfriend for 3 years nearly and whenever we get into one of our "sexual sessions" on the lead up to having...

Am I Being Selfish [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've been married for 20 years, daughters ages 20 and 18. Up until 3 years ago, I had my own business but moved so my husband could have more opportunities. I was perfectly fine with the move. It's weird how it happened, but I now work full time for my husband as his assistant. I was...

Am I selfish? [ 5 Answers ]

I am doing a lot of soul-searching these days after a bad breakup. I always had considered myself to be a very giving person, because I agreed to move when my ex wanted to move and I felt it was a big sacrifice. Looking back, though, I think I held a grudge for doing this for him and then I was...

Selfish, self-centered boyfriend=selfish, self-centered husband [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has done many things to hurt me. To begin, he lied about who he was when we were dating. We were young and in college; he pretended to not smoke, get drunk, and go to church regularly. Thus, we seemed to have so much in common. We talked for hours; he swept me off my feet with...

View more questions Search