Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cammy21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Social Security
    I'm legally blind. I was actually born completely blind and although I gained my sight. My retina never developed and I was considered legally blind by the state. I'm not able to drive.. etc.

I was on social security. They weren't giving me much so I was also working so that I could pay for my school books and living expenses. Social Security would send me paperwork and it would always state that I was 'not blind'. I would send the paperwork back, correcting the error.

Now, they are saying that they have overpayed me since 2004 in the sum of 50,000. We are filing an appeal. (My mom and sister are assisting). We went to see an attorney who told us that these are the steps that we need to take. First, an appeal to stop the overpayment and get the benefits restored. If that doesn't work, we file a waiver to try and stop me from having to pay back the money and finally, if all else fails. I file for bankruptcy.. which I really don't want to do. I've always been responsible in paying my bills (this is one, that I shouldn't have to pay) and I hate the idea of not paying the other debts that I have.

A lady I work with is a paralegal and told me that she thinks that if I file bankruptcy, Social Security can still ask for the overpayment. There is no way I can pay this. I make no money. I work seasonally from the months of April until September and this month (July), I'm only working 10 days for the entire month. I have no money!

If there is anyone with legal knowledge, is this attorney right or is the paralegal?
    smiillee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 12:51 AM
    Yes! The parelegal is right, you cannot over-ride the government, by filing badkruptcy. You can also call legal aide in your city, and they will work your appeal for you for fee.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Have you tried contacting a member of Congress? They have assistants that look into matters like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social security [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure how much to withhold in social security if the rate is 6% on the first 100,000 and they earned 105,856? If they earned less than 100,000 I can do it.

F2-f2 social security tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife and I are both international student holding f-1 visa. I came to States with an f-1 visa in August, 2001. My wife came to states in 2004 with an f-2 visa. She changed her immigration status from f2 - f1 in 2005 then. We are both on opt now. We chose to file a joint tax return as...

Social security tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment. I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and...

Social security tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi to all members of this forum and I hope we can establish a good relation ship. My question is the following. I was working in the US for several years under an H.1 visa and during several years I have been paying all the taxes like the rest of the US citizen and non citizen. In my case...

View more questions Search