Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverpetals Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 06:42 PM
    What is the best place to get the least expensive insurance for a teen?
    I am 19 and I'm getting a car so I need to get good car insurance but I don't know where to go. Where can I find the lease expensive insurance? Also does having a good GPA help in any cases? I heard that if a student has over a 3.0 GPA, they can get a discount. Is this true?

Thank you very much!
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 14, 2008, 07:02 PM
    We need some more info from you. For example, what is your age? If you are a minor living at home and the vehicle is registered in your parents name, best place probably to go is to your parents insurance company. You would get a multicar discount, your parents would only have one ins pol to keep up with, and if it's registered in their name, then that's where the coverage should be placed in most cases. However, if you are an adult and in most states that is age 19 and the veh is yours (registered in your name), then you must buy the insurance not your parents (in most cases). If the veh is jointly owned (registered to you and either one or both of your parents) then best place to go is to your parents insurance company in most cases. Let me return to the situation where you are the sole owner and you must buy the insurance since it's registered in your name.. best place to go is where you find the lowest rate for your situation, where you find the coverages and limits of liability you are comfortable with, where the company answers your questions to your satisfaction. If you are a good driver, have decent credit, either have current coverage or currently are covered as a driver with another company, then you should act as an advocate for yourself and politely demand that you are not be placed in a high risk (non standard) insurance company... rather insist on being placed with a preferred company, not high risk.. As to grades, yes most companies have that filing with the states they operate in and offer a modest discount... be prepared with your last report card... also if you have taken driver's ed... have the certificate with you... and know you driving record... even go to your state's DMV and pay for a copy of your driving record... be sure to disclose all incidents on the company's application.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Be direct there is no "cheap" insurance for a 19 year old. Having a high grade point average will help.

The prices on which company will depend on where you live. Best way, no secret, get quotes from a dozen different agents.
    jasking Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Shop around with as many insurers as you can and be sure to mention the GPA and any other advantages you might have... Drivers Ed certification, previous insurer's discounts for good driving, your being employed (if you are)... anything that shows good character and responsibility. Lots of companies offer discounts for good traits like those, but, as the previous response says, on a 19 year old (especially a male), forget cheap... it won't happen... cheapER maybe, but not cheap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this too much of an expensive present [ 18 Answers ]

My boyfriends birthday is coming up next week.. he told me he wanted an mp3 player like thing and when we looked online we looked at a zune I think that was the name.. my birthday was about a month ago and he didn't know what to get me so he got me two huge bottles of purfume and took me to...

Teen fender bender with no insurance [ 9 Answers ]

My teenager got into a fender bender and the vehilce she hit was a older SUV and our car is a 4 door small vehicle. The other driver was a teenager as well and had 2 other teen age passengers in the car. They pulled over and was asked if they were okay and everyone said yes. The gave each others...

Why is divorce so expensive? [ 3 Answers ]

Because it is worth it! My first wife would rather climb up a tree to tell me a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth. I honestly tried everything to please her but it did not work. When we split, I nearly died. Did a lot of stupid things I am very ashamed of: however, if I had only known...

View more questions Search