Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
    The drip edge has a verticle section. That is available in various lenghts from 1" to maybe 6" long. It also has a fixed section that goes under the shingles and the length doesn't matter.

A drip edge is a little fancier than a 90 deg bend, but for all intents and purposes for this discusson, assume that is what it is. About 4" that goes under the shingle and some distance X that folds over the edge.

Assume X is 1". Roof thickness is 5/8" of an inch. 1" minus 5/8 = 3/8". Thus 3/8 of an inch of the drip edge extends below the edge of the roof. The top of the gutter, then buts up against this. This puts the gutter 3/8" of an inch below the bottom edge of the roof.

If that overhand was 2", the gutter would be 2" minus 5/8" or 1 and 3/8. In this case the gutter would be 1 and 3/8 of an inch below the bottom edge of the roof and that would not look good at all.

Make sense?

I'd have to measure what the stuff I used last year was.

Aside:
    The tar paper or ice and water shield goes ON TOP OF the drip edge portion that goes on top of the roof.

The drip edge actually extends the roof line by about 1/4", but it mounts flush against the thichness of the plywood. It ten goes down X distance and has a small outward bend to it, so water is directed away, rather than under the roof.
    stevekem Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Got it! Thanks for the explanation. :)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    The drip edge has a verticle section. That is available in various lenghts from 1" to maybe 6" long. It also has a fixed section that goes under the shingles and the length doesn't matter.

A drip edge is a little fancier than a 90 deg bend, but for all intents and purposes for this discusson, assume that is what it is. About 4" that goes under the shingle and some distance X that folds over the edge.

Assume X is 1". Roof thickness is 5/8" of an inch. 1" minus 5/8 = 3/8". Thus 3/8 of an inch of the drip edge extends below the edge of the roof. The top of the gutter, then buts up against this. This puts the gutter 3/8" of an inch below the bottom edge of the roof.

If that overhand was 2", the gutter would be 2" minus 5/8" or 1 and 3/8. In this case the gutter would be 1 and 3/8 of an inch below the bottom edge of the roof and that would not look good at all.

Make sense?

I'd have to measure what the stuff I used last year was.

Aside:
    The tar paper or ice and water shield goes ON TOP OF the drip edge portion that goes on top of the roof.

The drip edge actually extends the roof line by about 1/4", but it mounts flush against the thichness of the plywood. It ten goes down X distance and has a small outward bend to it, so water is directed away, rather than under the roof.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
    OK, I decided that the only way to do this is to go and take a picture of what I did.

This is "the impossible".

Hidden hangers + seamless gutter + Ice&water + 7/8" drip edge.

No problem.
    Attached Images

Jul 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Are your hangers attached behind the drip edge?

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    OK, I decided that the only way to do this is to go and take a picture of what I did.

This is "the impossible".

Hidden hangers + seamless gutter + Ice&water + 7/8" drip edge.

No problem.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
    I did an earlier post that appears to have gotten lost. I probably forgot to hit the send button.

That post basically said that no, I have not heard of a roofer doing it his way. His way seems like a lot more work. If he is willing to do it this way to protect his shingles he must be very conscientious about his work.

However, if this is the type of "hidden" hanger he is using, he needs to just do the shingles (with drip edge) and let the gutter man hang the gutters.

Don't see any conflict between the drip edge and the gutter.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevekem
    Are your hangers attached behind the drip edge?
    Not really, but the drip edge (7/8" dimension) limits the position of the gutter. 7/8" doesn't really limit it at all, but a 1.5" drip edge would.

Here is some dimensions that are large:

Open Angle Drip Edge

Jul 23, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Hey guys,

Roof was just finished and I posted a new question recently with pictures showing some possible issues. Could you possibly take a peak and give me your thoughts?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/exteri...cs-240932.html

Thanks in advance!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My almost 3 year old has me about over the edge. [ 11 Answers ]

I don't know what to do with her anymore. I try time out, and usually give up because I'm tired of chasing her around, along with the throbbing headache I've encountered from her hi-pitched screaming just to irritate me. In fact, her and my one year old have screaming matches all day long, the...

Edge detection algorithm [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I need your help in implementing a hough trasform to find pupil and iris. I need to implement iris recognition algorithm for my final year project. It is part of project. So anyhow I need to find methology to edge detection algorithm. Help to do this. Time is going fast. (source code...

Gas or Gas & Oil for Homelite Trim N' Edge [ 3 Answers ]

Gas or Gas & Oil for Homelite Trim N' Edge Number UT20022A Doe it only take Gas or does it take Gas & Oil for Homelite Trim N' Edge? Grandfather gave it to my son without the manual. Thanks

What is edge [ 1 Answers ]

What is the meaning for the trem edge in cell phones . What is the advantage of having edge in the phones and is it necessary?

View more questions Search