Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drbeijing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 09:41 AM
    6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year
    Hi ATE,

Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man!

My case is like that:

I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I worked for the company using my CPT.

My wife came to US on F2 in 12/2000. She changed to F1 in 06/2003 and she has been on F1 since then.

Since we both have been in US for more than 5 years, shall we file jointly as resident alien for 2005 tax return using 1040? If not, could you please let me know which forms we shall use instead?

Thanks again. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Beijing
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Beijing:

Yes, your exemption from the Substantial Presence Test expites on 31 December 2004.

For this reason, you should file as a resident alien in 2005, filing Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ with your wife.
    drbeijing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2006, 10:55 AM
    Thank you so much, ATE. Have a great weekend!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 10:09 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 2 year old [ 11 Answers ]

I can not seem to get my 2 year old to give up his sother or to potty train him I am a single mother and very strick is this maby part of the problem or is there a problem or am I just worring :confused: :confused:

New year wish [ 1 Answers ]

Wish you happy new year.may this year bring you happy and prosper life. Cheers www.vijay.bhatter.com www.indiaforum.com

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

F-1 in 6th year: res. Or non-res? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, You have done a wonderful job advising people -- and in particular foreign students and professionals -- on their taxes. I hope my question is not repetitive since I value your time (I have read through all the relevant threads and the specific question does not seem to...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search