Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbecker410 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Prorating rent
    My lease is up for my apartment on August 12, but I have to pay a full months rent and I'm only going to be there for 12 days. And the landlord refuses to prorate the rent. But if I renew my lease then I can stay there without paying twice. But I plan to move out by the 12th, is it legal for the landlord to make me pay a full months rent and I'll only be there 12 days?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I don't believe there is any legal requirement for them to pro-rate your rent.

You would need to check the landlord tenant laws for your specific area.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 01:37 PM
    The only thing is that they can't double-dip. So if the landlord is going to charge you for all of August, then technically your lease doesn't expire until the end of August either.

You say that your lease is up on the 12th? Was it monthly/yearly/weekly, and when was the rent due? Does it specifically say that the last day of the lease term is the 12th, or is that just the day you want to move out?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Most leases will note that payments are due for full months, I know as a landlord I would enver prorate rent. Rent was always payable on the first for the full month.

When did you give official notice that you were moving, since just because the lease is "up" notice has to be given to move. And in many cases the lease requires it to be a 30 or 60 day notice.

But as noted, the landlord can not rent it out during the period that you have paid for. So if you move out on 12, if they do rent it out before the end of the monty they will owe you money back.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 03:56 PM
    While I agree that generally the landlord is entitled to the full rental period's rent, the one out I can see here is if the lease is actually written to expire on the 12th. If that's the case, then I would think that the landlord would have to prorate that month's rent to just the 12 days. After all, he was a party to the original agreement, and I find it hard to believe that a court would find it legal for him to charge rent for a time that the tenant doesn't have a lease.

This is assuming that the tenant gave proper notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit? Thanks... Jay

Eviction for Non Payment of Rent after determination of rent hearing [ 2 Answers ]

A Eviction for Non Payment of Rent is in process and a determination of rent hearing has already been heard in the State of Florida. The Judge order the tenants to pay rent due within 24 hours. If tenants pay the court ordered amount, how much longer do the tenants get to stay in the house?

Does 3 day Pay rent or quit notice include only rent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant paid $500 to get into my house (California). He was supposed to pay $3300 ($1800 rent + $2000 deposit) by 4th June. This was stated in contract. Instead he paid $1000 on 06/06. He deposited in my bank account. So if I want to give him a 3day pay rent or quit notice, should I...

Non-prorating insurance on roofs? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a relative in Georgia who recently suffered some roof damage. She went out and obtained 3 bids from licensed contractors to repair the damage and had her insurance adjuster come out to survey the damage. All three contractors indicated that full replacement was necessary. However...

Prorating a month to month lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord in New Jersey, I rented my apartment for a year then it turned into a month to month lease, the tenant told me about three months ago that he would initially be leaving in June but since he was looking to buy a house and it took longer than expected it turns out he will be...

View more questions Search