Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    midget2429 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Preventing wasps
    Last year, I had a nest underneath my back door and both myself and my puppy were constantly being stung. This year, I sprayed and patched the space under the door before they appeared. But, before I did this, I checked for a nest and could not find one. I sprayed anyway. Since they haven't appeared yet, will they because I sprayed? And if they do, how can I get rid of them before there is a repeat of last year?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Caulk, mortar or any other applicable patching is about the best you can achieve as far as preventing them goes.

Typically wasp sprays kill on contact and do little to prevent them in the future.

Look close for any other voids that you can fill appropriately (caulk, mortar, plastic wood, etc.) and you've done about all you can do... except for keeping your eyes peeled - especially now that they are starting to come out - so that you can nip it at the bud when they first begin building.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Hi,
    I agree with the answer before this one. There isn't any Wasp Repellent that I know of.
    Here in the Mountains of VA, we refer to them as "Waspers", which is just "mountain slang" for a Wasp.
    About the only thing you can do, is to kill them with Wasp Spray (Raid, etc) while they are building a nest, so it won't continue to get any larger, and stop the building.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hernia: preventing testicle pain while lifting! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am 17 years old. I lift weight a lot, well I used to . This whole summer I have laid around watching anime and losing muscle. Mainly because I had this lump on my right testicle and I was in a lot of amounts of pain, and my doctor could not really find any explenation for it at all what so...

Preventing Wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last summer my entire family got stung by wasps. There was about 10 different nests under the railing of our large deck. The most problemsome was the nests near the gates that connected the deck to the pool area. We tried sprays of all kinds then just resorted to avoiding the main gate, but this...

Wasps ! [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of wasps? I bought one of those traps (yellow) with bait inside, hung it next to the "hive" and now after 3 days not even one wasp. Looked at the directions and it says " not for paper wasps" . What's a paper wasp and how do you tell? How do you get rid of...

Advice for preventing clogs from washer? [ 3 Answers ]

Speedball, you're my kind of guy. Advice to others here re washers backing up was really helpful. (Except for Fred, who suggested it was an infestation of Pipe Demons.) I can use strainers in the shower and kitchen sink, but no doubt my washer spews copious amounts of shredded kleenex, sock...

Tips for preventing future squeaks? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to install fresh 3/8" plywood over the original 3/4" tongue & groove planking to give me a smooth and solid surface for the final lauan and sheet flooring in my 5' x 9' bathroom. Here's my question: In order to avoid any possible squeaking in the future would it be advisable to...

View more questions Search