Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 07:09 AM
    refrigerator water line noise
    Our house is 5 years old and about a month ago the refrigerator water line started banging between the wall and the refrigerator. It is very loud and you can watch the line jump. It happens about when water is turned off in the house, either the sink, toilet or washer. It only happens about 20% of the time, but when it does, it is loud. The toilets also started making random noises about the same time. It sounds like water is turning off and on in the tank. I put blue dye in the tank to see if I had a leak in to the bowl. So far, none of the dye has run into the bowl. Any ideas?:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker
    Our house is 5 years old and about a month ago the refrigerator water line started banging between the wall and the refrigerator. It is very loud and you can watch the line jump. It happens about when water is turned off in the house, either the sink, toilet or washer. It only happens about 20% of the time, but when it does, it is loud. The toilets also started making random noises about the same time. It sounds like water is turning off and on in the tank. I put blue dye in the tank to see if I had a leak in to the bowl. So far, none of the dye has run into the bowl. Any ideas?:confused:
    Ah Miker, What you have is called "water Hammer" and there's a simple repair that the average homeowner can do himself.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home.. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Good luck, Tom

Mar 31, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Thanks, I'll try it tonight when I get home.

Apr 3, 2006, 07:11 AM
    I drained the water just as advised and the noise stopped. WOW, that was a very easy fix for a problem that was driving us crazy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water at Refrigerator Water line? [ 60 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 10 year old home and purchased a new refrigerator with a water filter and ice maker, only to find that when we hooked it up to the single water line behind the fridge, it dispenses hot water. I don't think the line has been used before now and was wondering if anyone has...

Water line makes Knocking noise [ 3 Answers ]

Every time one of our toilets if flushed, the water line makes a knocking noise.  It never use to do that until we replaced the flapper and flushing valve.  Does anyone know what this might be?  It's very loud! ::)

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

Noise in water line [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new pressure reducer in my house. Now there is a hum or low whistle whenever I flush the toilet or draw water in the bathtub. I have two toilets and it happens with both. Prior to replacing the valve the water pressure was excessive and caused the toilets to rum constantly....

Refrigerator/Freezer NOISE.. [ 0 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: :confused: OK - just got back from a week of vacation. My fridge/freezer (Amana ARS2364AW - 6 years old) is making a weird noise. Seems to be coming from under the ice maker on the freezer side. I noticed some ice cicles (sp) on the racks underneath and some water/ice build...

View more questions Search