Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 12:11 AM
    Smoking and dancing
    This is sort of a similar question to the one I asked about wine and spirits. I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? Dancing is mentioned lots of times in the Bible as being a way to celebrate, worship, etc, and I know from personal experience that Jews, especially the most Orthodox, are huge on dancing. And as far as I know, smoking is not mentioned in the Bible. Or is it? And back to Ultra Orthodox Jews... they follow the Talmud and Torah to the letter, and yet they are known to be notorious chain smokers. So it's definitely not forbidden among them at all.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 02:34 AM
    For me personally I see nothing wrong with dancing. There are many different forms of dancing though. I do not even know What the Catholics believe as to dancing or smoking. For myself, I come from a family of mostly smokers. For me I tried it for a while but did not stick with me. Since I was a young child I had very severe asthma, So I reacted very badly to any kind of allergy. Good thing. Many people have the argument that God created all these plants and so forth so why can we not use them. At the same time we are to treat our bodies like TEMPLES. God I believe wants us to stay away from anything that harms our physical, spiritual and mental body. As you said the bible, the torah has many guidelines of things that are good for us and things that are not good for us. I wonder if they had smoking in those days? Maybe they did not and that is why it is not even mentioned?

Excellent questions.

Joe
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 03:21 AM
    Neither is prohibited by Catholic teaching. In fact dancing is actually promoted in many ways: The Church sponsors a party that includes dancing a few times a year... and the local Catholic schools all have dances throughout the year (with lots of parent chaperones).

Smoking is not called "sinful" but the dangers of it are strongly taught. Some of us Catholics, me first, and including even Priests, Bishops and Cardinals still battle that horrible habit.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 03:29 AM
    There are some Baptist churches that have those stipulations around here, their weddings are not well attended LOL. But it's parish by parish, some you can smoke, some you can't, etc. Never really got that. The Pentatcosts have some weird ideas too that vary widely from congregation to congregation.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 05:29 AM
    Hi,
    Dancing and Smoking is not allowed in some Churches of Christ, a Church established in many Southern States in the United States. Some do not allow music, other than a piano and organ; while others do have small instrumentals band from time to time. Others don't allow even piano or organ.
    I think this varies from different religious denominations.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2006, 06:24 AM
    It is from on the dancing the form and manner, if you are acting out sexual acts as you dance ( and they do today, I saw it recently on TV)
    The dancing in the bible was more for joy and happiness, not a sexual game to arouse your dance partner.

So some churches ban all, to make sure the bad dancing is stopped also.

Smoking, not mentioined so we are left to human wisdom, it is bad for us, and it can cause us to die early.

The smoke 2nd hand is bad for anyone around us, esp small children.

So if you love your fellow man, if you love your children, and if you respect your body that God created. You would not smoke.

At least in my humble opinion
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    So if you love your fellow man, if you love your children, and if you respect your body that God created. you would not smoke.
    Nor drink alcohol to excess. I agree!
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 31, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Need,my baptist church services have lots of guitars,piano,wind instruments,and drums.At 11am it does grate on the nerves though after Saturday night. :D
    Smoking is taboo,and not encouraged,on health grounds.Me,and Sally do not smoke,nor do other family members,but I know other church members who do outside.Smoke in the "lounge" afterwards,tea,coffee,etc,and they would throw you out the nearest window,as there are lots of youngsters about.
    As you say it's parish by parish.Pentecostal churches.Did'nt a lot of those places have folk who used to "fall to the floor",once "touched" by a lay pretcher?
    Oh dear,look who I've now upset. :D :D
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Pentecostal churches.Did'nt a lot of those places have folk who used to "fall to the floor",once "touched" by a lay pretcher?
    I've read that they do believe in the "speaking in tongues" stuff. I think the pentacosts around here (Atlantic Canada) are a special 'brand' 'cause they're hard to miss in the malls and fast food joints: I believe they are not allowed to do anything at all to their hair so it's long and grey, they aren't allowed to wear pants so it's mostly jean skirts, and they must really believe in inner beauty because 98% of all pentacost women over 30 are overweight... by a lot. The men seem to have no restrictions. The women are allowed to work outside the home. Apparently it's no big secret that adultery is rampant in that community.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I've read that they do believe in the "speaking in tongues" stuff. I think the pentacosts around here (Atlantic Canada) are a special 'brand' 'cause they're hard to miss in the malls and fast food joints: I believe they are not allowed to do anything at all to their hair so it's long and grey, they aren't allowed to wear pants so it's mostly jean skirts, and they must really believe in inner beauty because 98% of all pentacost women over 30 are overweight... by a lot. The men seem to have no restrictions. The women are allowed to work outside the home. Apparently it's no big secret that adultery is rampant in that community.
    LOLLL about the inner beauty! Actually NeedKarma, I know the people you're talking about; one of my friends joined them! :eek: They belong to 2 different groups here: one called the United Pentecostals, which is who you're probably referring to, and another who are called Bramanites, because they follow this guy named Braman. In both, the women never cut their hair, even for a trim (apparently there is a passage somewhere in the NT about women not shaving their heads, and this is the way they interpret it), and they wear long skirts and usually long sleeved shirts or blouses too. They are also never allowed to divorce, they are literally kicked out of the church if they try to, which would probably explain all the adultery you're talking about...
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Thanks again for all the responses, I appreciate it! So the smoking law is just for health reasons? But is that how it started? Because I know that the Puritans never smoked either, and they probably didn't know about the health concerns. I had always thought that the smoking and dancing started among the Puritans, and was forbidden because they didn't want to do anything pleasurable or fun. And then certain denominations who broke from the Puritans kept those beliefs even though there is no biblical basis for it. Does that sound like a valid theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper
    I wonder if they had smoking in those days? Maybe they did not and that is why it is not even mentioned?
    Yes I was wondering that too. I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the Torah, or in other parts of the Bible or the New Testament. Like not just a warning about it, but I don't recall it even being mentioned as something people did. It's interesting to me, because for example, the First Nations peoples here in Canada have regarded smoking and tobacco as sacred for thousands of years. But perhaps tobacco only grows in North America?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I've read that they do believe in the "speaking in tongues"
    Even Catholics recognize this "Gift of the Holy Spirit", fyi, y'all. I know that it surprises some to learn this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catechism of the Catholic Church
    "There are furthermore special graces, also called charisms after the Greek term used by St. Paul and meaning "favor," "gratuitous gift," "benefit." Whatever their character - sometimes it is extraordinary, such as the gift of miracles or of tongues - charisms are oriented toward sanctifying grace and are intended for the common good of the Church. They are at the service of charity which builds up the Church.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Mar 31, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Orange, you sure do know how to ask them. LOL. It would be interesting to research smoking in the Bible. I don't think it mentions it specifically but as some suggested is covered under not harming your body. Paul (in the NT)does state that not all things are sinful but not all things are profitable. I suppose that may fall under that scripture. I just think it is plain disgusting but who am I to judge unless I have to walk through a cloud of that smoke. As far as dancing, I have heard of some churches down south that prohibit it. Matter of fact, a friend of mine in North Carolina had his wedding performed elsewhere because his church doesn't agree with dancing. I am not sure of the facts but when I get the exact thing I will edit this.

The 2 churches I belonged both agree with dancing but most don't necessarily do it on a real showy way. If the spirit moves someone than so be it.

****Edit: My friend had to have his reception at a different church because his church does not agree with dancing.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    ... I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? ...

c'mon. everyone knows the answer to this.

a modern day religious ban against dancing is widely attributed to the nationally recognized Rev. Shaw Moore. A bible-thumping, fundamentallist pastor in the midwest, he believed dancing can lead to grave mortal sins.

at least that was until kevin bacon came into town and got "footloose"

=)

couldn't resist
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 07:29 PM
    LOL I loved that movie!

And since we're on the subject of Kevin Bacon, whoever hasn't seen The Oracle of Bacon should definitely check it out! It's an extremely cool site, especially if you are into computers, mathematics and/or movies starring Kevin Bacon! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dancing - good exercise? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm just wondering if dancing to music is as good of an exercise as aerobics or other exercise videos. I like to get some exercise every day, but those videos are really boring, and I love dancing. :)

Children's movie from 80s or 90s.. Dancing baby dolls.. apple tree [ 6 Answers ]

There is a movie I used to love as a kid and I have no idea what it's called. There is a girl who enters a world through her mirror where there are little babies singing and dancing on a bridge. She does something and falls into a hole where there is a witch and some monsters and a big apple tree...

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

Tower-Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it. My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much. Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled...

View more questions Search